M1GB 056A BW Furnace/AC unit leaking water

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

PolVaultr

I don't know if the subject provides enough info, but it is all I could find at the moment.

As mentioned, my unit is leaking water when the A/C is running. This has only been occurring, or at least visibly occurring, for the last week or so. Although, the amount of water soaked clothing from the floor of my closet may say otherwise.

The unit is just over 7 years old, and was new when we purchased our home. Has been doing a wonderful job, but I've noticed it has been running more & more the last few weeks. We have only had a handful of HOT days, but mostly ranging in the 80's and low 90's. We have a programmable thermostat; 68 at night & 74 during the day. I have accessed as much of it as I can, and am hoping it is only a clogged drain line, but I can't seem to see anything beyond the shell. I've read through other posts to try to get an idea, but am still at a loss. I, like one of the other posters, consider myself pretty handy around the house, but have never dealt with an A/C unit before.

I guess what I'm really looking for is tips on what I can do myself, without spending money on a service call, that is relatively easy & safe, with an emphasis on the latter.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamie
DaveyB

Unless your furnace is heating your water as well, then it is much more likely what you are seeing is the condensation from the AC unit. Normally, there is a tray under the unit which catches the condensation as it falls and channels it into a drain line which leads it out from under the home.

It is possible that the tray has moved, is damaged or leaking, or that the drain line from the tray is blocked. These would be the easiest things to look for, and a relatively cheap fix, so probably the best starting point before trying to get into the HVAC unit itself.

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
PolVaultr

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm hoping that it is only a clogged drain line. There is limited access to the unit itself (had to remove a wall panel to get to it :) ), so there shouldn't be any shifting/damage to the tray.

Guess my next step is to crawl under the house to look at the drain line. :roll:

Would an easy way to check be with a straightened wire coat hanger pushed up from the bottom of the line?
DaveyB

Quickest way to check would be to pour water into the tray at the top and see how fast it comes out the bottom (if at all). Check the tray for corrosion as well, just in case!
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
PolVaultr

Ok, so I have unclogged the drain for now. I wasn't able to visualize the pan, so I went from underneath & hooked my shop-vac up. Got a decent sized clog, most likely thanks to the rodents in the area, and a good bit of water. Was able to see the water dripping out before I closed up shop. My only concern is that I'm going to have to do this multiple times throughout the season without getting to the pan itself. Where on the unit do I find the pan? It seems that the side & back are solid, and the front shows no indication of a pan, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot. Any ideas? Thanks!
DaveyB

I'm not too sure on the Nordyne units as to how they are put together, my suggestion above comes from general knowledge - perhaps one of the regular HVAC guys might be able to help with the makeup and position of the condensation collection system. My own home has an Intertherm, with separate top (filter) and bottom (motors and drainage) panels.

Glad you got the clog out though, and the water behind it indicates that at least part of your problem may have gone away!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝