New Here

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hog_a_Howlin

I am new to the site and thought I would drop in to say HI to everyone.
I am in the planning stage of remodeling my 10yo daughters room and have lots of concerns.
I have a 1996 Belmont 16x80 single wide home. Her room has several sections of wallboard that are failing. The "wallpaper" is seperating from the paneling and I am thinking of changing to drywall. The problems I cannot seem to get past on this change are the window and door. The drywall will be thicker, thus causing me to have to re-trim those 2 areas. Having never done anything like this, and never being around this type remodel, I have no clue as to how to do this properly.
Any info you might link me to will be appreciated, as I have read quite a bit on here, just haven't found the "right" thread to give me the insight I need to feel comfortable starting this task.

Thanks,
David
JD
Site Admin

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

You could use the wallboard metal corner-bead going from the new drywall directly to the door jambs. The sides will be long enough to cover that gap caused by the difference in thickness of the wall panels. Drywall mud should stick to the door jamb if the jamb is clean. You may need to adjust/trim the door width to fit. You could just mud the corner bead in and texture with the rest of the wall or mud the bead and nail up some door casing.

I find that regular corner molding in a door opening always gets knocked off or broken.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Hi & welcome. another possibility would be to use 3/8" sheetrock. It's not as strong and that may be a factor in a 10 yr. old's room.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaveyB

Hi David and welcome!

Actually, you might want to consider re-bar in the walls and alarms on the windows - the problem isn't keeping a 10yr old daughter in, its keeping the boys OUT !! :lol:

Seriously though, you will find plenty of helpful ideas here, and support if you do get into a bind. You will sometimes find that over-thinking a problem will cause more stress than the problem really merits.

A window or door frame is usually constructed of a simple wooden frame and the trim is nailed onto it to match with the wall level. Possibly all you need is to remove the trim, nail on a 1/4" thick strip onto the outer frame of the window and door, keeping it flush on the inside edge, and then reinstall the original trim on top of it. A coat of paint will now hide the joint between the frame, the strip and the trim.

You might also want to be a little inventive with the walling too (depending on budget) - install a full length mirror into the wall, and some areas of corkboard around it for pushpins. Don't forget some wood strips hung horizontally for hanging posters from. Posters tend to get changed out, and it does make a mess of the dry wall as pins are pushed in and removed!

Don't forget to add some soundproofing insulation too, so she can crank up that darn noise they call music without bothering you too much :mrgreen:

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝