Underbelly laying on the ground

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jpingram5

A local in the park was working under his home and he found at the one end of his home the under belly is sagged so low its resting on the plastic vapor barrier on the ground. I went to check it out but at that end its so tight we would need a mechanically inclined cat to get under there. But you can surely see it laying on the ground. I'm just wondering if that will ruin the insulation over there. I know the under belly is sweating a lot with the AC running and he's just worried about mold. This is a fairly new home and we haven't found any signs of leaking plumbing. I know my under belly sagged in the middle of the home all the way down the length for the duct work and some plumbing so it seems typically normal. Guessing the way the ground was where they set is why its like that cause theres maybe 6" of skirting at that end if your lucky and theres like 4' at the other end.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
jpingram5

BUMP

Anybody?
1987Commodore

Wow, that's really close to the ground! I think it is odd that the belly is sagging that much. If you are sure there is no water gathering inside the belly in that area, probably the best you could do at this point would be to try to slide some 2X4s under there on edge to provide gaps for air flow.
jpingram5

There's no water leak. The belly doesnt sag a lot. Its just that at that end of the home they set the frame so freakin low to the ground its impossible to get under and the middle of the belly all the way down sags a little for the ductwork and some plumbing i believe. I opened it up at the other end and took a peek. I seen this on another home from the same maker. For now I say theres not much he can do but maybe call and complain to the manufacturer about it. Its a newly set home and he has a 1 1/2 Warranty. To me that is just plain stupid. Seeing as that end is bathroom so now the only way to get under the home would to rip up the bathroom & floors.
JD
Site Admin

There may not be much of a solution there, but I agree. The owner should complain about the set. I believe the home is unserviceable at that end, being that close to the ground back and there will be moisture problems. He can't repair or level that end and the way it is set, it will need it. The site should have been graded and then compacted or determined that the space wasn't usable for the home. JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jpingram5

I told him to give a call and complain. I agree 100% with you on as far as being serviceable. It was very poor judgement on whom ever set the home. Hopefully it works out for him. Would be sad to have to rip up the bathroom to fix a pipe or something silly since you can't get underneath.