1996-ish Intertherm Outside AC Unit won't Force Air

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kailor

I've a trailer at the lake with a 1996-ish Intertherm outside AC unit. The inside electric furnace, Coleman Presidential, does not have an A-coil sitting on top of it. When I turn on the thermostat to "On" and "Auto", you can eventually feel cold air at the floor directly above each register, but the cold air is not being forced through the trunk line. The fan on the outside AC unit is working just fine, but when you hold your hand over it, the air being blown out is not hot. I'm certainly no HVAC person, but this leads me to think that the outside AC unit has a bad blower motor, blower motor relay switch or something like that that is keeping the squirrel cage from turning. Am I correct in assuming that the outside AC unit has a squirrel cage and the indoor electric furnace has a damper underneath it to prevent cold air from coming up through the furnace itself when the ac is on?

Thanks in advance. Keith.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Bill

Hi Keith,
Before I can help you out I need to know what the model numbers of the Furnace and of the A/C. Then i will explain what and how air flow and cooling works.
Thanks,
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
kailor

Bill, I was having the unit serviced (intertherm package AC...1996?) and compressor locked up.
The data label could not be read because it was merely a faded, sun-drenched sticker on the outside of the unit. In the process of getting bids for a new package AC, one gray-beard got a number off of the compressor and informed me that the unit was a 3 ton unit.

This unit never had freon introduced into or evacuated from the system. We know this because the technician had to seat metering valve/needle/orifice where the high and low lines connect to gauges. The unit was out of freon and we ran the AC for the two prior weekends. It was actually lack of service that killed this package AC unit.

We are having installed, a Rheem RSNM0A36JK000 (3-ton, 13 SEER) high static AC package unit. Our total cost will be approximately $2850.00.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Bill

Hey, Keith
Sorry to hear about the bad compressor. Never fun when you have to replace the a/c. But on the bright side the new a/c will be more efficient and hopefully save you money in the long run.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.