Shower leak, flooring bumps and slow water

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

turtlebtfl

We own a 1996 Gurdon and are having some problems I'm hoping someone can help us with. We were home owners for 12 years before moving to this MH and are familer with home repair, but MH's seem to be another kettle of fish all together!

There are actually 4 major problems that I know of so far. First, when the shower in the 2nd bath is used water seems to be coming out under the walls into the 3rd bedroom and closet. The wall in both the bed and the closet back the tub/shower. This wasn't happening when we moved in a year ago. The tub has always had problems with a small amount of standing water in one section that won't go down the drain. The water appears to be grey water, but I'm not positive since it's coming up from the floor and the dinginess could be dirt and debris from the floor. All I know is there is alot of water that floods my floor!

The second of the issues is in the kitchen. When we moved in there was a ridge under the flooring that ran from the dishwasher/sink area across the floor to the cabinet on the other side. I can't tell if it goes under the cabinet or not. The ridge has now "opened" up and there is a valley between two ridges. The hotwater heater is in the master bdroom closet which is on the otherside of the wall from the cabinet/fridge where the ridge seems to go. We replaced it when we moved in, but didn't see any leaks at the HW heater.

Third this house was a MESS when we bought it (little to our knowledge). The subfloor in the living/dining room had been coated with primer. When we sanded it off to level the floor for laminate we discovered big wet areas throught the rooms. We're not sure what they were from, but we do know there was carpet and pets in the home before we bought it. There is an area in front of the outside door that was wet and my husband thought it was from a leak around the doorway and sealed it up. Over the winter the new laminate flooring has began to lift.

Last, but not least. The water flow from the kitchen faucet is so slow. It takes forever for it to get hot or colder. It wasn't this way when we first moved in, but shortly afterwards. It's not very far from the HW heater so I don't this travel time is the problem. It's only this faucet that has the problem.

The home sat empty for sometime before we bought it. Approx 9 months. We've been here over a year now. I hope someone can tell me what could be going on and point us in the right direction to repair these problems.

Thank you!
wire10ga

Hello,
The valley or valleys you are talking about, are they in the middle of the house? Is your home a double wide? If so, it sounds like you have some seperation going on and will need to re-level.

As for the water comming out, you should be able to find an access panel to the back of the shower/tube area. If the back side of the shower wall is in a bedroom, you should see a panel in the wall fixed with screws instead of staples. If the back side is a closet you should see the panel there. Sounds like a pipe has pulled loose. Again it could be a out of level issue if it is a double wide home pulling the pipes apart.
CD
JD
Site Admin

If you are seeing water on the floor, you might as well go underneath and open up the underbelly and take a look. You will need to remove the wet insulation anyways. The leak should be obvious with white scaling forming around the leak. If you don't see it, have someone turn on the tub faucet.

In a '96 home, you should not have the gray polybutylene plumbing. I am thinking you probably have cpvc. With cpvc, the quality of the installer's work is everything. Fittings can leak, fittings and pipe can crack or break at anytime after the installation, due to improper gluing or putting too much stress pressure on the plumbing.. With PEx and copper, you are usually in good shape if there are no leaks during a pressure test.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.