Cool and not so cool TOOL REVIEWS

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JD
Site Admin

There seemed to be a lot of interest in the "cordless impact drill" topic. So I am going to start this thread to post about tools in general. I know I have several tools I would like to review, if there is interest. This would be a very helpful topic to members and visitors, as they will get info they could use before adding to their arsenal. So help us out here and post about a tool you would like to tell us about.

I have a one hand operation PEx clamp tool that is the coolest thing I have bought in a long time to write about. But I am going to have to post some pictures somewhere to be able to show the pics here, since our forum no longer allows us to post pics direct. You would need to see this thing in action to see how cool it is. But for now, I will start with my latest purchase. It is a point and shoot thermometer with a laser pointer.

Rosewill REGD-TN439L0 Infrared Thermometer _____ # # # # # 5 out of 5 stars

Pros
Cheapest price I have seen on a decent entry level infrared thermometer. Works like an $80 unit

Cons
You will have to wait for it to go on sale again to get it for $20

The Rosewill Infrared Thermometer. I buy techy stuff from Newegg, so they got me on the ShellShocker and Guerilla Deal email ad program. I get them everyday. Anyways, this thermometer usually sells for $35 but on the special, $19.95 + tax (in California), free shipping. This thing is very useful to find hot and cold air leaks, wiring that heats up, areas of roofs that is missing insulation and all that kind of stuff.

So far, I know my big pit bull is 3-4 degrees cooler than the little pugle. The brick on the edge of the pool is 103 degrees on a 95 degree day, the evaporative cooler spews out 70 degree air in an 80 degree room when it is 95 outside and the hot area of my laptop is 95.5 degrees when pointed into the ethernet port. Oh yeah, the dual pane window read 95 when the wall read 95.5 from the exterior.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6896268001
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Infrared thermometers have dropped in a BIG way since I bought mine, It was on sale for $140. I bought it for finding hydraulic problems (Bypassing fluid creates heat) but I use it more on hot days, today the pavement was 137* when I checked it around noon. Too hot to be on the pavement to do any work.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

While prices drop in electronics constantly, especially old technology, much higher grades of infrared thermometers still exist. Machinists and the medical community use thermometers with wider temp ranges and accuracy levels. Some of these may need to be calibrated and certified for professional use.

For my use of troubleshooting heat related problems around the home, the base level units are adequate. The Rosewill has a range of 32 to 122ºF. I would imagine that your thermometer has a much higher range.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Where I buy tools has a lot to do with it also. I do buy many tools off of the tool truck so I expect to pay more since it costs a lot to have tools come to you.

The problem that I have been having the last few years has been that tool reps. quit and it may take months or longer to get a new one. I had a Mac tool guy for 20+ years that retired, it took a year for them to get a replacement. The new guy lasted 3-4 years and now he is gone. Snapon has a worse track record. I used to have a dealer that would stop by the house on his way home on Fridays, that was great. Since then over the last 5-6 years at the shop we have gone through 4 guys. Now what gets me is that you pay top dollar for tools with full lifetime warranty but then you loose the dealer that will honor it.

As I said in the other thread, I am looking at an 18v 1/2" impact and 1/2" drill. Both Matco & Snapon are in the same price range and professional grade, but due to the turnover I am totally undecided witch way to go.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

I had a Snap-on truck guy give me a bad time about replacing a 3/8 ratchet about 25 years ago and never went back to a truck for tools. I figured I could replace Craftsmans forever without an assumed improper use lesson. But Craftsman ratchets were a better tool back then. They seem real cheesy to me now with that whimpy direction changer and I have already returned one less than a year old because of that part.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

A few weeks ago Lowes had a "closeout/clearance" sale on all of the Kobolt hand tools. I asked the guy what was going on and he said they were changing from an American manufacturer to a China manufacturer. Makes you wonder at times.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

That's a shame. Kobalt seemed like an OK cheap tool brand. I only have a screw driver set from a past birthday and a bunch of the folding utility knives. I do like the knives with the blade storage in them. With my business I probably have 6-7 of them.

The China tools will probably be cheaper, but probably not in price. There goes some more jobs! As a nation, we seem to keep the cross hairs right on our foot.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Dean3

JD wrote:I had a Snap-on truck guy give me a bad time about replacing a 3/8 ratchet about 25 years ago and never went back to a truck for tools. I figured I could replace Craftsmans forever without an assumed improper use lesson. But Craftsman ratchets were a better tool back then. They seem real cheesy to me now with that whimpy direction changer and I have already returned one less than a year old because of that part.

I used craftsman red handle snips for many years,could make them do about anything as to right or left handed cuts,an old boss taught me that and it works,as long as I don't expect to make *every* cut,just most. Anyway,back to topic of quote-- It's been 5-10 years ago I took broken,"100% lifetime guaranteed",craftsman snips back to Sears(was 45 miles away,went to the mall),,they said "we don't do that anymore" or something to that effect..Well then what happened to the 100% guarantee that was in effect when I bought it?!?! Do I look dead to you fella?!?!

The craftsman snips I still like,it's something to do with the shape and angle of the jaws that works for me..I will buy other craftsman hand tools if needed and convenient to get,,but,,I won't go out of my way to get them ever again. They lost that when they blew me off. No more going the extra mile to get *any* of their stuff.

Dean
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, everything is tightening up. Sears recently excluded things like measure tape blades (although the mechanism is covered) and anything with a cutting blade, which I guess would include tin snips, which is ridiculous. Sockets, ratchets and wrenches are still covered. Then in the rest of the hand tools, they have the Craftsman name on a cheaper line that only has a 5 year warranty, or something like that but still have lifetime on their "pro" level tools.

I can understand though. Because of their liberal return policy, which is what made them famous in tools, there was a high percentage of tool and warranty abuse, which they see as an avoidable loss. As corporations continue to search ways to show a profit or less loss, they tend to cannibalize themselves in a down turning market. While we may see them as in the appliance and tool market, corporations are in the business of selling stock. The products are only one of the tools to help them achieve that goal. Trickery in credit cards, consumables to keep their products going and downsizing seem to be their main tools. It is certainly not just Sears. My banks are doing that, Netflix, regulatory agencies and even grocery stores are all squeezing out the last consumer dime they can get.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

I think it may be in the wording of the guarantee. They have guaranteed for life, Guaranteed against defects, and Satisfaction guaranteed.

Against defects is "Fairly" specific, the others are open for interpretation. If you break it you may not be satisfied.

The same holds true for the life time guarantee, but if you stop and think about it once the tool breaks IT'S life is over.

Many retailers will simply bite the bullet and hope for your repeat business or simply don't want problems.

Greg
Greg

Well I bit the bullet and bought the cordless impact & drill this week, After getting the run around from the snapon guy I went with the Matco 18v impact. All I can say is so far I am impressed. As a Heavy equipment mechanic I run into some big bolts, so far the cordless has done everything me IR air impact will do (I've run them head to head) but time will tell.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

I am going to have to get me one.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!