Park Rules

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Greg S

I have a question for those having homes in parks. Particularly those in Ontario Canada but I am interested in all responses.
Regarding residents having written park rules referencing the moving in of new or replacement homes into a park.
What is the wording of the rules regarding age, size, condition, appearance etc. of the home. What type of restrictions are in place, are the restrictions being enforced and has anyone actually had a home moved into their park in the past 10 years or so.

Thanks
Greg
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Here in NY Local zoning rules come into play as far as moving older homes in. Most pre HUD homes are destined to stay put or be torn down. It would take a lot of work to get an older home approved to be moved in.

We have had homes come in both new and older. Here you need a full cement pad before the home is set, that also costs the park money. That may be a reason for lack of new homes also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

So the park owners do not have any rules themselves regarding the quality of homes brought into there parks?
Are there different quality of parks in the area.
I know around here some are war zones with dirt roads and trouble makers while others are very upscale communities with immaculate landscaping, large community complexes and only the best of homes. Gated communities where everyone must check in to enter. I expect in the case of replacing a home it would require only a newly manufactured home be allowed in.
In my park no home older that 10 years is allowed to be moved in.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

In our park (around 200 units) we have a mix of ages. My neighbors is a '64 (one of the originals when the park opened) still in good shape, and we had a brand new one move in in May.

I think that some of the parks hide behind what zoning laws say even though many zoning law don't apply since the parks are established, it's easier to make the town officials the bad guys than just say no.

The area that I am in has a half dozen parks with 50 - 200 units in them. Some are just plain "Trailer parks", one the owners of the homes OWN the park, and every thing in between.

Ours is a work in progress, it used to be a scum hole, since the new owner took over it has turned around. My wife was the manager for a few years, in ONE month they did 50 evictions. People were over a year behind in rent, junk cars, drugs you name it. She had a gun pulled on her when an unlicensed car was about to be towed after 2 months of warning notices. He got a 3 day eviction notice from the judge after he got out of jail.

Greg
Greg S

It sounds like a tough neighbourhood. The park down the road from mine is similar to how yours was but has recently changed owners so we will see.
My park is nice, small with 33 homes, more a Mobile Home Community than a park. Most residents are retired, plenty of widows but some still in there 40s and working. No kids, strictly an adult community.
Even in nice parks though there is always at least one tenant that is bottom of the barrel and trying to bring everyone else down.
Up here it is virtually impossible to evict, except for non payment of rent, so the bad apples tend to stay a long time. Lowlifes, con artists, drug users mostly on government benefits they don't deserve.
jorjastandish

Some park don't allow kids? Hope this would change.
Greg S

Why change something the residents have chosen as a preference. It is no different than a series community.
There are far more family communities anyway. Unfortunately most are not as high quality or as well managed. Difficult to control someone else's children.
jpingram5

Our park is rather nice I'd say compared to some of the parks I've been in. We got about 277+ homes in here. In one of the states most highly desired school districts, which is why I choose this place. They require background & credit checks before you are allowed residency. It's kept pretty clean and it's usually peaceful.

http://www.hometownamerica.com/communit ... unity=8429

As far as old mobile homes go there is a certain year that any mobile home older than that year cannot be moved or even sold I believe. Maybe possible if you bring it up to code but even then you would probably spend enough fixing it you could have bought a new one. And yes, most parks have guidelines for how the home looks as far as it's appearance and age they can reject bringing it in. It all depends where you go. Every park has its own guidelines.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
ReginaMT

The one upscale park in my area allows nothing older than 3 years but the real screening tool is that they also make you buy the "park package" from them which is $9,000 for an 8x10 metal shed and 2 cement stairs. They also have pretty hefty up-front fees totaling around $900.

That being said, how I wish I had gone there instead! The park where I am is a nice rural location but unfortunately is run by absentee owners and management and it seems like the park is getting junkier every year. It looks like they're trying to sell it, though, so I'm going to hold on and hope for better things.
joedirt63

my park is pretty ok. it's small about 23 homes.all the new homes comeing in have to be set on cement pillars and staked block. no room for any more . last one was set up last year.here the age ranges from 63 witch is the oldest, by the renovations on it you would know that it's that old. it looks like a sea side bungalow. here the park rules are kinda of lax, every one here has good old common sense and neighbor courtesy. we all help each other here. park rules are only employed when someone makes a big enough stink about something.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg S

Common sense and courtesy go a long way in maintaining the standards of communities such as ours. Unfortunately there are always a few that did not inherit those genes.
We have three in particular that are of the opinion that rules do not apply to them. Regrettably this attitude also seems to go hand in hand with a inflated entitlement attitude. They generally make life for respectable residents very difficult.
One in particular is attempting to move in a 14 year old home when they know full well the rules state no older that 10 years. Regrettably we are regulated by a "landlord tenant board" that does not understand or respect the rights of the other tenants in communities such as ours. The board generally gives individual tenants anything they desire often to the detriment of all other residents and with no regard what so ever for park rules or community standards.
Greg

How often does the board change members? sounds like you need to be on the board.

Greg
Greg S

The Adjudicators are appointed by the government. Generally based on patronage. They have strict instructions to do what ever is necessary to support the tenant sitting in front of them regardless of the ramifications of those decisions. This of course is good for good tenants but good tenants rarely have a reason to be at the Board.
Regrettably, based on the multiple times I have been before the board, I have not yet seen a deserving tenant.