Flooring

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

adr1209

Is stick tile, or stick laminate like Novalis okay for a mobile home? I want to use it, but I'm not sure if I should.

Amy in Florida
Susan

Amy,

I have used peel & stick tile in a couple of my rooms with great success. Just take your time and follow the instructions and you should do OK. Remember that preparation is really important for a good bond with the surface below. Clean it well, then clean it one more time! I think it was Yanita and maybe a couple of others have used the Novalis stuff and the reviews were all good. Try doing a search and I am sure you will find even more information that will help you. Good luck with your project.

Susan
Yanita

Hi,

Your right Susan, myself and a few others have used Novalis...excellent product and I highly recommend it. I do not however recommend any peel and stick tiles in the bathrooms. Well , unless the existing full sheet vinyl is still intact and your tiles are applied to that.

Check out the archives and type in Novalis...you'll get all kinds of reviews.

Laminate flooring is recommended for our homes. It is considered a floating floor which is what we need as our homes shift with the seasons.

As Susan said, with the tiles prep is key, and read all instructions on both laminate and tiles before you start the actual install.

Good luck

~Yanita!~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
charliemom

Yanita wrote:Laminate flooring is recommended for our homes. It is considered a floating floor which is what we need as our homes shift with the seasons.
Yanita, so you wouldn't recommend the wooden slats to make a hardwood floor? Is there an alternative for the same look? What about the square tiles (wood-like)?
Greg

with the prices of laminate flooring it may be cheaper to put that down plus it is tougher and goes down easier than hardwood. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

I purchased my laminate flooring at Big Lots. $10 a box, and I was able to do an entire bedroom. And I'm mean enough to be taking it with me to the new place for the kitchen. Floating AND you can break it down if you really must. All those years in construction come in handy for deconstruction :lol:
PennylessZ28

I bought some laminate made by Traffic Master. Got it on sale at home depot for 88 cents a sq ft. So I bought 400 sqaure feet. About 380$ and the padding was 25 cents a sqaure foot, 100$.

Laminate is nice and goes down easy, BUT.... Yes there is a but.

I've seen with the cheaper brands, they scratch easier and you can't get them wet. I mean, if you spill something, whip it up quickly. If an pet urinates on it, while your not home, it will bubble. Seen this happen.

If you've got pets and animals and dogs, count on it getting beat up fairly quickly. Drop something heavy on it, and it will scratch easier than real hardwood.

Another note, when you are snapping those things together, take your time. When I first did it, I must of chipped or broke a couple of boards before I learned to slow down.

Otherwise, I think its a good alternative.
Yanita

Hi,

What Pennyless said is true, so try to get the best quality laminate you can...even if it means you put the project off a little longer to save some more money.

Personally I am not a huge fan of laminate floors, seen to many deteriorate quickly. I do not like the sound of them as you walk on it, and for pets, elderly and kids it is real slippery.

JMO,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
adr1209

Thanks for the replies. We also got the 88cent stuff from Home Depot. We haven't installed it yet, and we are going to use the tiles in the kitchen, where the floor is already vinyl. I will try and take some pics and post them.
Thanks!
Amy