New electric range

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Betsy

My home is a 2001 Fleetwood and it came with an electric range - thirty inch, free standing. I decided years ago to give the range away and put a storage cabinet in its place and use a countertop oven. Now I want to go back to having a normal range and wanted to ask if there is anything I need to be wary of when I pick out the new one. Like wattage or amps, that sort of thing. The range I want is a free standing thirty inch with smooth cooktop, the least expensive one from Whirlpool. It is not self cleaning. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer.
Greg

Check the range outlet. There are a few different Pin configurations used. Make a note of your's, some have angled top pins, some parallel. The ground pin may be U or L shaped. They are all available, you just need to know what you need. Also make a not of the amperage rating (it should be stamped in the plastic), it should look like 30a@220v or 50a@220v.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Betsy

Okay! Going to check these things out right now. THANK YOU GREG!!!!!!!!!
Betsy

With flashlight, eyeglasses, and magnifier (it's hell getting old) I am able to determine that 50A and also 125/250 V is stamped into the black plastic receptacle. It seems to be coming up from the floor and has three vertical slots and an upside-down U-shaped ground slot. I took a picture, how do I get that into a message?
Betsy

Does this sound like the right cord - Utilitech 6' 6/2 & 8/2 SRDT, 3-Pole 4-Wire Range Cord

It says that it fits most homes built after 1996. Does 4-wire mean three plug slots plus one ground slot?
Greg

That sounds like one of the possibilities. just describe the plug when you buy your new stove, that way there should be no problems. Should be a simple "plug it in".

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Betsy

Buying online from Lowes so I won't actually be speaking to anyone. They will deliver it and set it up so I better be certain I order the right cord. Like an idiot I gave the first cord away with the original range. I know, I'll go to my local Ace and buy the cord there instead of from Lowes. The Ace guy can help me. Thanks again Greg.