wall panel removal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Nightshiner

I just purchased a 1993 southern energy 16x80 the master bed room has been remodeled by previous owner. The corner i want to put my tv computer and electronics has one problem electric socket is in the ceiling. How hard is it to remove the wall panels to run an extended line down the wall.
joedirt63

well it depends if the wall in question has been replaced ,or if it's original. on my house a 94 astro all the origan walls are glued and nailed to the studs, some times if you can gently pry up an edge you can work up and down the length of the panel and work it off the nails useing a sharp scraper to loosen the glue. i used a sharp wood chisel about 1 1/2 wide. look for the moulding strip ,it usually covers the seam of two joining panels. then again you can just put tract down to where you want to have the outlets, without have to open the wall at all. the power lines are encased in a metal rail and the outlet box and rail are mounted to the wall. extieor. can't remember the proper name of the product, "not enough coffee yet", but JD or Cruisin or Greg probly know.due to policy of the website all info is for entertainment only. :lol:
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
DaveyB

I assume that the ceiling socket is fairly close to the wall. If not, you may need to modifry this!

First, use a stud finder to make sure there are no horizontal studs in your expected run. Once you hace a clear runm make a hole in the wall at the top where the cable wil enter.

At the required height, cut a hole for the socket 4" high and 2" wide (or sized to your preferred socket). Taake note of the insulation in the wall (if any).

Grab some fencing wire, nice stiff wire, and bend the end over to make a tight teardrop loop (so it won't catch), then feed this in from the top and push it down to the height of the bottom opening. Before the end reaches the height of the register, put a loop of wire into the register to push back any insulation and form a big loop inside the wall.

Once the top wire is down far enough, you should be able to withdraw the lower loop and bring the top wre with ir - might take a bit more fishing, but it's usually successful.

Use this wire to pulll through the electrical cable to extend the socket to where you need it!

Hope that helps!

Dave
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
Greg

Hi & welcome. *Most* home builders run the electrical through the walls about 18" from the floor. I don't think I have ever heard of one running through the ceiling.

As Joe said the panel may be glued as well as stapled with about a half million staples (I think the builders are paid but the staple), It can be done usually if you are VERY careful. Don't forget you need to remove moldings also, same thing with the staples.

It may be easier to have a circuit added from the box and come up from under the floor.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."