My little project - Redman Homes Brighton 1996 model 5613

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DaveyB

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Redman Homes Brighton 1996 model 5613, which is 16 x 64, and has 2 beds, 2 baths, living, kitchen/dining and a washer area inside the back door. On the whole, the home is in good condition, but I'm working through it bit by bit (and living in it) and finding some little (and not so little) things that need attention.

I have replaced several window blinds that had aged to the point that they no longer worked, and I have one window where the counterbalance drive is shot on one side. I have located two places in the home, one on the north side of the east bedroom and one on the north side in the center of the living room where the floor creaks when I walk on it. Could this be a problem caused by levelling? Suggestions appreciated!

I tore out the carpets in the west bedroom and replaced them with wood flooring (laminate) for use as an office. It actually worked out nicely since I can stare past the monitors at the passing people! The problem I hit is that all of the power sockets in this room are on the same daisy-chained 15 amp fuse in the breaker box near the back door. The panel has some empty plates in it, so I will probably run a second circit (and maybe a 3rd) to feed my hungry brood of computers. With this in mind, are the cables typically run under the trailer and branch to lead up to each socket, or do they make a single entry and then daisy chain from one to the next? Any ideas before I have to start crawling underneath and tearing walls open?

Whilst messing around under the trailer, I'd like to find a way to cancel out the bath drain the the west bathroom (office end). Having lived previously in a 2 bed apartment, I found I had to set reminders to myself to go into the 2nd bath once every 2 weeks and run some water to fill the water trap in the bath (This is Phoenix, AZ, water tends to evaporate fairly quickly). It there a way I can block up the drain, without making it permanent, but that would prevent the sewer smells from coming back up? I'd like to leave the bath installed in case it may be needed at a later date, so any changes need to be easily reversible. One idea was to pour some water soluble chemical into the drain, such that it would not evaporate, but simply sit there and block the drain. Using the bath would dissolve it and return the drain to useable state. Suggestions?

The hot water heater (this home is all-electric) is located in the west bedroom closet. Given that the kitchen is next to the east bedroom, that's a bit dumb since the water has to travel almost 40' to its most common point of use, but never mind! Another home in the park (same make and model, but possibly a different year) has an outside door to the heater. Is there an advantage to retrofitting this door - how often do these heaters wear out? I plan on fitting a time switch to the heater to cut out its peak rate useage, but other than that I dont plan on changing it too much (just yet). Anyone have any experiences to offer on this one?

One of the biggest questions I have: I have been considering getting solar panels (leased) to cut down on the power bills. I'm not sure about the strength of the roof to support such an array - according to the handbook for the home, the wind factor is set for zone 1 (15psf), the load zone is South (20psf) and the climatic zone is 2. If I read that correctly, the load is set for 20 lb per square foot, which means it will easily support the weight of a man walking on it (8lb/sq.ft standing, up to double that walking). Any experiences would be welcome!

Sorry this post is so long, I've only been living in this home for just over a week and already I'm seeing possibilities and potential changes. I'm a systems engineer by trade, a fairly good mechanic, a competent electrician, I have a lot of experience in civil engineering and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I plan to run all these little projects through, but have some other up my sleeve for later!

One brainwave I had was to modify the street end of the home. This one is definately back burner for now, but I may have a go at it some time in the future. Looking down the street in the park (55+ community), all the homes are perfectly lined up on both sides. I plan to use the almost 5' setback from the road to add the prow of a boat to the end of the home - complete with navigation lights and a small mast, and the name on the side "dun movin" with a couple of chains and anchors embedded in the ground. If nothing else, it will be differnt from the garden gnomes and cactii that the others have :) Not sure how the management will take it, but it'll be fun!!
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
bdheaton

Bathtub drain - One method would be to pour some vegetable oil down the drain. That will sit on top of the water in the trap and should keep the water from evaporating. Running water through the drain will displace the oil.
Greg

OK Dave, I take a shot at the questions.

Floor noises can be a sign that the home is unlevel, but I would check under the home by the main frame (I beam) and see if you have lag bolts, if so try tightening a half turn in the area that makes noise. it may be the subfloor also.

Electrical is usually run through the walls, I would run a new service in conduit under the home.

Drains, I was thinking RV antifreeze, but vegetable oil should work just as well.

Water heater, Life depends a lot on the water, the harder the water the shorter the life. When the park I am in was on it's own wells you were lucky to get a year out of elements. Outside access doors are usually for gas water heaters and can be a major pain. Timers will save money, how much will depend on how well insulated the tank is.

Solar panels, Good idea. More research would be needed on the weight issue. You might consider a large covered porch to place the panels on.

Bow of a boat. I LIKE IT!!! But you better check with the managers first or make it easily removable.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Good answers to all your questions. Not sure how long you have lived in the park but if in fact you are "dun movin" you should rethink the boat idea.

The reason all the homes look the same is because that is the way people like it and is most likely reflected in the park rules. 55 plus community = conformity.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
DaveyB

Thanks for the answers guys - now to get my coveralls on this weekend and go crawling!!

Nice idea on the vegetable oil - that's a great answer! Thanks!

I'll check the lag bolts this weekend, and also do a full inspection of the underside while I'm down there, make sure there's no other surprises lurking!

I suspected that the wiring might have been through the walls - not to worry, it isn't a big job to lay the conduit and put in a remote breaker box - I can mount that in the same sub-closet that houses the water heater and then run power sockets from there.

I contacted a local company and they are doing an inspection on another mobile home this weekend with regards to the roof strengths for solar panels. The main point is in identifying the locations of the trusses so that the feet land on those. I'll call them again next week and see what the results were, but the guy I spoke to seemed optimistic that there shouldn't be a problem with it.

No worries Greg, the boat is on the back burner, might come to fruition in a year or so once I've had a good think about it and sorted out all the other priorities first. Probably won't be any higher than the siding on the end, so to all intents and purposes, almost a raised garden (which a few others have), but giving the impression that the home is actually sitting on a half buried boat .... hmmmm :twisted:
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
joedirt63

hm the boat idea goood one, may be when you do it you can build a board walk next to it. i just finished mine . you can make a sign,( my ship fineally came in) :lol: always liked the sea and shore my self. raised in seaside,nj
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

You could build a "Forward deck" at skirting height and depending on your roof make an upper deck top side.

I grew up on the water so I could really get into a project like that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaveyB

Unfortunately, my camera was one of the items taken in the burglary which resulted in me finding a new pad, and eventually landing here! I'm going to grab a new camara though and start recording the progress ... might help some others too!

The boat is definately back burner for now though, sorry, finances only go so far, so softley softley .....

Photos soon, I promise!

btw, mods, any problem with me using this as a blog-type post?

Dave
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
Greg S

Make sure you check with the park owner or manager before making too many plans. Better to be safe than sorry.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)