Bermuda, Bahama window shutters

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gchart57

In the park where we live some folks have these shutters on their windows that were made by either a friend or someone that sells them, I've checked high and low looking for plans or a kit on how to make these but cannot find anything. Does anyone have a info on the metal fabricated shutters/awning.

Thanks much,

Gary
Greg

If you are talking about "Hurricane" shutters you can google it, there are a lot of sites that deal with them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

And they ain't cheap neither. They are probably aluminum and custom made.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
gchart57

yes they are aluminium and custom but if I can find the plans I' can certainly do it myself. Greg any suggestions for what to look for I've been searching but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
gchart57

I've searched high and low and can't find a thing. Please help!

Gary
flcruising

Plans to build aluminum shutters yourself? If they're "hurricane shutters", you can't, as they have to be Miami/Dade County approved/tested.

Can you TIG aluminum? I would buy some wooden louvered closet doors and cut them to size and paint the heck out of them for weather-ability. Back them with some plexi or corruplast for some wind protection if you want.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

I just googled "Hurricane shutters", There are a lot of sites dealing with the subject. I can't say any have plans on building them or not. As Aaron said there may be requirements on construction.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gchart57

We are in Collier County and there is no requirement to have them. We were looking to add them to windows in the kitchen.
Brenda (OH)

http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?cont ... Yes&pF=Yes

I did not open the files, but it looks like what you are discussing Brenda OH
gchart57

Still haven't found anything and would really like to make three for our kitchen windows. They are also called cabana shutters
DaveyB

Might like to look at http://www.diyshutters.com/do-it-yourself-shutters.htm - they provide the DIY kits already cut to size for you.
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
gchart57

Thanks Davey just what I was looking for, again thanks very much.