Replacement window question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

katesmom117

Okay I'm looking at replacing the terrible two single pane aluminum frame windows through out my 97 imperial single wide. My question is as my DH and I have argued about it and I think I might be right but thought I would put it to my experts....as I replace the windows and replace the rotted framing, do I still need the interior (storm) window or as I think do I just now have a some what (stick built home) window sill? And if I have a sill what do I use wood/ trim wise to make it look good? DH thinks even with the new dual pane pella windows that I will still need to hang an interior window like we have now. Humidity level in the home is low 30% winter not sure summer. The moisture in the windows is terrible and DH has painted in between the windows since he has lived here twice with quality exterior paint with proper paint prep and still the paing has cracked and chipped off of the junk pressed wood and again looks terrible. I have tried caulk and great stuff to fix gaps in between the windows and the great outside. As money is tight and I will only be able to do a window at a time is there a "quick temporary fix" to make this look presentable when I have my windows open? I have alreadly learned so much from lurking the forums, you all are working on my remodel with me :D
Greg

A "quick" fix will take longer in the long run. You can buy a good quality double hung window for $150-200 and be done with the problem.

We have Pella Pro line windows in ours. The only problem that I had was a condensation problem, I blamed the windows until I did some more research and found the Humidity level was around 80%. I run a dehumidifier 24/7 all winter and have no condensation problems now.

Take your time and install them correctly and you won't have any problems. Just a note, you may want to check your home first to make sure it is level, there is no sense in putting windows in a home that is not level to start with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
katesmom117

Thanks for the reply Greg. And about the sills, what kind of wood/trim do I use? I am new to all of this? I have the leveling set up, have a mobile home co. coming out to help with that. Took more knowledge than we have to fix it. Using the water line leve we are out of level by about 1 1/2" as good as we can tell. House has been on the lot for about 10 years with nothing but basic cleaning and minor fix this patch that! So I have a bunch I want to get right

Shannon
Greg

Shannon, Wood types depend on your taste. You can go with the basic painted pine, A stain grade pine, hardwoods like Oak or Maple. I have seen some done in weathered barn wood that look good. Personally I like the stained pine, Not cheap but less than hardwood.

1 1/2" out, not too bad, that's about what I had.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I replaced ALL of my single pane windows. Cost me about $1450 for the windows (not including trim, etc) at Home Depot (custom sized ordered). So far, my electric bill is DOWN $195 for the year so far - which fully pays for one of the windows. FWIW - I also got about $500 back on fed taxes as an energy efficiency credit.

Removing the old windows was trying - but not too difficult. Some windows used screws - but the boogers was the ones done with nails. Installing the new ones was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. Make sure they are level - set them in so they are centered in the frame out, and maximize the caulking to ensure a good seal. I also used size adjusted foam backer rod on the inside around them - and them filled the remaining space with light stuffed insulation. No leaks. No drafts. And a lower electric bill. YIPPEEEE!
Opportunity has a shelf life.