Laminate flooring, orientation, transitions and entrance-way

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

Soon I'll be needing to account for the transition strips, the spacing. In the first bedroom I'm parallel to the opening and have only to drop in a last piece. But... for the master bedroom I'll be running perpendicular and will need to continue on past it (along the back wall and into the closet).

I'm not sure what sort of total gap that I'd need to accommodate the expansion for both flooring sections and the t-strip. The laminates call for 5/16" to 3/8" for expansion. The t-strip will need a sufficient amount of "meat" to run the screws through, and then will need a sufficient span over the expansion gaps and for covering over on to the laminates. Greg, I think that you said that 1x2s work, but adding up everything would seem to present only about 1/4" overlap onto the top of the laminates, which doesn't seem sufficient to me. I'm kind of wondering whether I shouldn't be looking at 1x3s (assuming that I can find them, in oak).
P1060132 (Small).JPG
P1060133 (Small).JPG
P1060134 (Small).JPG
Regarding running parallel to the t-strip, I'll need to do this in the hallway adjacent to the other bedroom. Seems to me that I'd end up having to cut a really small/narrow piece offsetting past the hallway wall an into the doorway. Is this standard procedure, or is there something else I should be doing in order to take this into account? I'd hate to have to rip boards on both sides of the hallway in order to present wider pieces such that they'd protrude into the doorways/jambs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Here is a better picture of what I made. The "T" is about 1/4" wide.
Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg

...But given the kind of day I had yesterday remodeling our bath, I may not be the best one to ask for advise. Can you say OH CRAP!!!
mdnagel

What's going on there?

Lucky you, you can actually see the tops of your counters! :-) (I've got stuff piled everywhere from my recent/on-going move)

BTW - Seeing as I'm in a hurry to get the flooring down everything conspired against me today! After fishing out something my wife dropped down the kitchen sink (and my attempts at plugging the no-longer-used dishwasher drain, resulting in me having to pull out the drain pipes for a second time!), clearing about a foot of snow from one half of the circular driveway (I got my wife's car stuck at the entrance to the drive when I got home from work late last night) using the tractor, which was very slow to get moving after sitting idle for several months) and knocking snow/ice off the gutters, I managed to get 5 minutes of time on the floor before having to head in to work! Yup, one row down and starting on another (work stopped since my wife was doing conference calls and I couldn't run the saw). At this pace it'll take me a month! (and I've got about three days to complete it) Keeping my fingers crossed that the pipes in the pump house don't freeze...
Rhonda

Lil bit of a break in the counter top huh? Sorry you had a bad day. Tomorrow is always better right? Good luck!
Greg

Decided to keep plywood over the cabinet until sheetrock is done. I was trying to keep the bathroom functional, but that's not happening.

I know about conspiracy problems, I took the week off thinking I could work alone and get things done. The wife has been sick the last three weeks, (more antibiotics in her than most drug stores stock) it seems like every time I turn around what I need has been "put away" or cleaned up. I know she is trying to help but I finally told her to quit, I'll call if I need help.

Greg
mdnagel

Finally! Master bedroom done! (except transition pieces) Nice to be sleeping in the "final resting spot" :lol:

Here are some pictures:
P1060158 (Small).JPG
P1060159 (Small).JPG
P1060165 (Small).JPG
Now to the den... (will make separate post)
mdnagel

The den and it's (near) 45 degree angled entrance. Picture shows my two options for expansion/transition strips.

Straight across would mean that I'd have over 2 feet of "rise" (rise over run) to try to handle not one, but two sides of the flooring such that I don't end up with small pieces right at the strip.
P1060173 (Small).JPG
Other option is to square things off, using two transition pieces joined 90 degrees inside the den.
mdnagel

I opted not to go with squaring things out and instead went with angled cuts. It was a pain because I had to flip over the planks in order to cut them on my saw. Will post pictures later. Back to playing with the leveling compound in the living room...
mdnagel

I know that everyone has been holding their breath waiting for me to post pictures of my completed den... :lol:
P1060210 (Small).JPG
P1060215 (Small).JPG
P1060219 (Small).JPG
Greg

White spots are dust particles, with a camera & flask they will look huge. Trust me, some of the pictures of our daughter's rehab look like a blizzard.

Looks great!! Are we having fun yet??

Greg
mdnagel

Thanks Greg! Many thanks to you and all the others here for helping keep my motivation up. I'll be doing a pour in the dining room this morning (hoping I have enough leveler!) and hope that this will be the last of it! Dining room has required a lot more precision due to the fact that it will be tying together the hallway and living room too.
mdnagel

I survived! Finished laying laminates (well, OK, I have a couple of pieces to put down in a doorway to a back bedroom, and I need to do the transitions, and one day I'll do moldings, but basically I'm done with the flooring). Had lots of doubts whether I could get the floor level/straight enough, especially a big issue with a high spot just outside the den (which didn't seem to be solvable via adjusting support jacks). Running the flooring the full 24' width of the home (living room through dining room) I was off a shy 1/4". And tying three "rooms" together, well... not sure if I'll try That again! So, here are close enough to completed pics.
P1060354 (Small).JPG
P1060365 (Small).JPG
P1060363 (Small).JPG
mdnagel

Some more pictures...
P1050983 (Small).JPG
P1060358 (Small).JPG
P1060351 (Small).JPG
Arlo

Wow. You paid a lot of attention to the details and it paid off. I can't wait to see more projects as you complete them. Your fixer has come a long way in short time. I reread this thread to find out the floor product is Costco 8mil laminate. What's the color name?