Ondura roof over MH roof?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Blue

Hi all:

I used Ondura roofing on the roof of my garage last year, and I love it!

Has anyone re-roofed over their metal MH with this product?

My MH has a 3/12 pitch peaked roof with 0 overhang and those tiny gutters. I could overhang the ondura and solve my gutter problems. (They fill up and water runs into the window sills.)

Thanks!
The gods will give you chances. Know them. Take them.
Greg

I have seen it done, so I know it CAN be done.

JD is our "roof guy" and can give you a better idea than I can.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have never used the Ondura product, so I am not familiar with it. When I was young, I was a pole barn builder using painted steel panels. We had the ribbed nails with the rubber washer and in my opinion, a better panel. But it was not uncommon to have to fix leaks once in a while. Maybe if you caulked all the screws it would do better.

This is not a product that I would use, but I would not want to discourage someone else from using it. I would imagine that Ondura would make for and inexpensive roof. There is an Ondura web site that has some instructions and shows how to do vents and ridge caps.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Blue

JD, Why wouldn't you use it? Have you heard of problems? Obviously my goal is to not have to do this again for a loooong time.
The gods will give you chances. Know them. Take them.
JD
Site Admin

There are just so many roofing options that I feel would make a better roof. Where these options fall short of corrugated type panels is cost, expecially for DIY. I just have no faith in a face nailed panel I guess. When you don't nail or screw down tight enough, you got a hole and a leak, If you tighten down too hard, you can split the panel. If you have the nail down real snug, but not too snug, a shift in the home can be enough to pull the screw/nail in enough to spilt a panel or loosen a screw. Again, I have not worked with Ondura panels, and I know they are different than standard galv panels, but their web site makes the same warning for the same reason, Another thing I don't like about these panels is sealing vents. The wavy ribs makes this more difficult.

I feel as you do A roof should be dependable for years. The problem with mobile homes is the weight limitations to any roofing you add to an existing home. This generally makes the more permanent roofing options pretty expensive. Rubber roofs, sprayed foam roofs, insulated panels roofs are all pretty expensive. I would rather pay a little more to get a lot more benefit, than spending less and being let down by the product. But these products are not as available for DIY installs.

When installing a panel roof, which is my preferred type of roof, I like panels that use hidden fasteners and raised seams. Just by engineering/design alone you eliminate many concerns. You would need to find these kinds of panels as close to home as possible to save on shipping, The best situation is being able to go pick them up,

You should be able to buy single ply roofing (rubber roofs) products at a roofing supply store, but you need to learn up on the install. I have never heard of DIY foam roofs.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

Who woulda thunk it? Looking for a different roof product, I saw this link from Lowe's. http://tinyurl.com/Ondura-Vent-Base There is still the task of sealing it all up, but this product would make sealing up most vents easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!