just a breeze makes roof sound like thunder

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dooley

Hi everyone! My mother has a 1994 mobile home in very good shape. The only problem is when the wind blows, it does not have to be a gust just a breeze. When this happens it is as loud if not louder then thunder. If we have a gust or windy days then it is hard to even talk over the loud noise. I know this cannot be normal, I can understand if the wind is gusting I have heard this in other mobile homes just not like this. Any information would be great! I have seen where others have asked about strong wind noise, again this is when normal 3 mile an hour breezes blow over the home. Thanks everyone! *Lee*
flcruising

The roof? It must be metal. Something is not attached properly. Can you put eyes up there?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Aaron is right, SOMETHING is not right. Someone needs to get a good look at what is going on. There used to be "Rumble screws" that you could install to help, I would use them as a last resort only as they can lead to roof leaks.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

A standard rolled galvanized steel roof just lays on top of the home and is only attached at the perimeter. Your best roofs will create "roof rumble" when it is windy enough.
A normal amount of roof rumble should be acceptable, as this is the nature of this type of roof. When a home gets out of level, it can tweak the home enough to make the roof metal bunch up or get loose wave looking areas. These roofs can make the roof rumble with just a slight wind.

I would check and if needed, correct the level of the home first and see if that reduces the noise. Personally, I would never install rumble bolts. This would be a chronic leak problem in a short amount of time.

Most Roof-Over re-roof products like single-ply "rubber" roofs, spray foam, insulated panel
roofs, greatly reduce or eliminates roof rumble.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Blue

I'm so glad you posted this: I am having the same issue! Noticed it yesterday while doing some work over there.

Mine IS billowing, but nothing is "flapping". The roof is only doing it on the one side. Where can the air be getting underneath? How can this be fixed? The roof is in very good shape; has never leaked.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I hijacked this post.
JD
Site Admin

I'm not sure, but I think as wind deflects off of the home it may be lifting the metal. I am sure there is air infiltration too. Probably a combination of both.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.