Mysterious "Dripping" Sound

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sdshaw2

I say "dripping" because it sounds like a drippy faucet that drips in consistent beat. However, I am pretty sure it is not water.. It is happening in the master bath which is at the far end of the home. Depending where we stand in the master bath, the sound will stop all together, or slow down it's pace, or speed up. It feels and sounds like it's the floor that is making the sound which is why I don't think it's water related. It is also rather loud, louder than a water drop would be. Could this be caused by an unlevel trailer? We have a 14x70 1991 Fairmont mobile home that I know needs to be leveled. It is not horrible, but the corners are no longer level. It really am not sure what this could be, the sound is so rhythmic and consistent, I would think an unlevel trailer would make noises that were more singular and not repetitive as you walk around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Greg

A few things that have happened to me.

I have overhead wires over the back bathroom, I do get drips from the wires hitting the roof.

The one that TOTALLY drove me nuts trying to find the "Drip" was from a small battery operated CLOCK funny thing, every second there was a drip.

I doubt that the home being unlevel would cause a leak, but you should relevel the home "just because". You may want to take a quick look under the home just to be safe.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
sdshaw2

Yeah, we plan on re-leveling the home this summer. I took a peak under the home as well, no sign of any water leaks or anything else unusual. I will need more investigative work to find this noise coming from the bathroom.

I can't believe your story of the battery operated clock! Very funny.
JD
Site Admin

You say you don't think it is a leak and I hope you are right, but plumbing vents are one of the most common roof leaks. I am thinking that as you move on the tub floor, this might flex the abs drain, which might flex the vent abs, causing the noise/drip to change. A constant drip sound that does not stop sure points to a plumbing leak.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bell30655

I think I know what it is!!! Pick me, pick me... Take the lid off of your toilet. Is the level all the way up to the top of the tube? There's your "leak". Lower the float so that the water level is below that tube and the mysterious dripping should cease.

The reason it would happen and stop when you were walking in the room was the floor moving just a bit causing the toilet to kind of level out.
Mark440

I heard the 'dripping' sound while installing a sprinkler system. And, it certainly was a drip. If you can get under your place to the area you hear the dripping sound...kind of 'slap' the underbelly. If it moves like jelly....it may well be full of water. And it is a mess/hassle/PIA to fix.
Opportunity has a shelf life.