What the...???

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Greg

I'm in the middle of a bathroom makeover, I pulled a panel today and this is what I found.
We bought the the home new so no modifications have been made here. In addition to the weird stud configuration you can see the gap in the insulation as well, the grey spot is the outside panel, Kind'a explains the cool breeze as well as the other gaps.

So, If anyone has a thought as to why the stud has a cross stud (off center) I would be interested.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Maybe whoever did the build/assembly wanted to adjust the ceiling a bit....maybe.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
joedirt63

maybe the stud was twisted by the knot and they sistered it to keep it staight rarher than replace it. also looks like the insulation got wet near the top. i got 2 twisted studs in my kitchen wall i have to replace this spring, outside looks 6months pregnant.lol.p.s. just think it's already boxed out for and exhaust fan. :mrgreen:
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Both possibilities, The insulation at the top is all dry, I filled the gaps, and foamed the 4" holes in the floor for the 1 1/2" pipes - Funny, it SEEMS warmer.

I still have to figure a way to install a ceiling fan/light/heater assembly. I'm not real wild about cutting a hole in the ceiling. Funny, 20 years ago I thought nothing about putting a 3'x4' hole in the living room for a velux skylight, I guess it really does suck to get old!!!

Greg
joedirt63

i hate the projects where you go full steam and then you run out of time or money ,but you always have plenty of both to start some other project.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Lorne

So much for factory building and uniformity.
Videos of these being built makes you think everything is perfectly aligned and mistakes are rare.
Excuse me for a second....................................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :shock: :roll: . And where do they find those old, used looking 2x4 you find in the walls?

If it weren't for crappy construction we wouldn't have anything to do.
That sister'd 2x4 looks like it was needed to support the 2x4 cross piece that may have been needed to nail something to on the other side of the wall.
Good luck on your bath.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Lorne, Actually the outside walls are 2x6, For the most part in real good shape. The only problems I have had with rot was window sills when I did the windows. I found out the floors are OSB!!!

There is nothing on the other side of the wall except for the new bathroom fan exhaust.

Greg