Frozen service line?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kimpossible

I've not had water since 2/1. Have had heat under the home for 3 days so I'm pretty sure it isn't the line from the service to the house (line is "flexible" & doesn't feel frozen). I have the city coming out to check that it isn't the meter that is frozen sometime today. My gut feeling is that it is the service line (from the meter to the "water pot") & the city won't touch that of course.

So questions....1) Does anyone have any suggestions for thawing the service line? I have had heat directed down into the "water pot" (as well as toward the main line to the house) & the valve there is warm to the touch. 2) According to the park owner the water pot should have water in it at all times in order to prevent freeze ups. This doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain please?

Pioneer life isn't for the whimpy & I thought I could do this (haul water) but 4 days with no running water is getting old really fast. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/input.
Greg

First thing is to get some heat under you home. A portable forced air heater ( salamander or nibco type) aimed under the home will help. DO NOT LEAVE THE HEATER UNATTENDED. Once things get thawed out check the heat tape & insulation on the line.

Make sure the belly is tight with no tears and the skirting is in place with on holes or gaps.

Check the articles section of the site as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Kimpossible

Thanks Greg. I had had 4 days worth of heat under the house but was getting nothing. About 2 hours ago it finally broke free. I think I was a combination of freezes, The T at the hot water, & the gate valve or main line. Unfortunately, the main line now needs to be replaced. I think I can live for another night of melted snow to flush toilets.

And yes, my top priority will be to get the skirting replaced (considering out badly the plumbing company, etal, have torn up my skirting).

Thanks again for the reply.
Greg

Make sure you use PEX when you replace it. PEX is very forgiving if it freezes.

If you have enough snow, you can bank it up against the skirting and make an Igloo to help for now.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."