Kitchen Lighting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gchart57

posted once but it's now locked, We just purchased a used mobile home that has the fluorescent lights inside the curved and flat semi clear panels. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remodel this or where we may have the panels duplicated. The lighting is very bright and we like it but if a good suggestion is made for a remodel we may just replace the ceiling fan in the center with a large fluorescent fixture. Please help! Pictures finally attached.
Yanita

Hi,
I really am not sure about replacement panels for the lights. It may just be easier to buy a new flourescent if that is your choice. Hopefully someone will come along and offer some much needed advice here. I do not see your pics....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
DCDiva

A photo will help us understand the light fixure--to post go to post a reply--not the quick reply as it does not let u post a photo---ok post a reply--go down to upload attachment--click browse--go to your photos on your computer and click on it then it will come back and you then click on add the file,U can add up to 3 photos--you can preview--if you like it then submit---ok you can take down the old light and add what ever you want there--if a fan you will need to put in a bracket--be there are endless possibilities--but a photo will help us give u better advice :)
Melissa
gchart57

I hope this helps with some suggestions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

That looks like standard fluorescent diffuser plastic for drop ceilings. You can get these at any home store.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DCDiva

I agree I think that they did not trim them to fit so they curve some as a tight fit--you can also ad a light kit to your fan too --you take the cover off,and they usually plug in--turn the breaker off first lol
gchart57

I'm really looking for suggestions to remodel the plastic and get rid of it altogether and maybe put in recessed lights or one big florescent fixture. Hoping for help.
Yanita

I would gladly give suggestions but I still can't figure out what I am looking at. Can't say that I have ever seen a set up like that before. It looks to me like a ceiling fan enclosed in plastic hood? The pics are real close so I am not getting the whole pic.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
gchart57

Yanita it's very simple where the fan is it's the ceiling, where you see the plastics and if you read previous posts that where the lights are. I'm looking to change this. Th picture is the best I could do.
Brenda (OH)

I would say the curve is due to the panel being too big. you could get a replacement panel, trim it slightly smaller than the one that warped, and install that.

a possible upgrade might be to get the panel, install it smooth side out, and put a stained glass window film on it, and put a light kit on the ceiling fan for more light.

Brenda (OH)
JD
Site Admin

This should be pretty easy to change. Usually these types of "gingerbread" design elements are just attached to the completed ceiling and walls. Maybe just pull it all out, do some painting and have some bathroom wall lights installed.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gchart57

JD this sounds about the best and easiest the only thing is to find the right lights. Maybe a group of low voltage lights will work. Thanks
taylor96

At first glance, I had no idea what I was looking at.. Now that I figured it out,if it was me I would tear out the whole monstrosity and toss it in the garbage and do a proper ceiling with some new lites .. look on any web site for fixtures ideas and pics.. :D
gchart57

Trying to resurrect the kitchen ceiling lighting issue. Looking for a way to redo the lighting and ceiling with out using those plastic panels to cover the lighting.

Thanks All
DCDiva

I can not tell from the photo but r your kitchen cabinets by this area--JMO if it was my house I would take all of this out--it is made out of the tracks for a drop in ceiling--then put in what ever kind of light you prefer and then you can add crown molding to the top of the cabinets and decorate the top of them or if you want new cabinets in the future you can buy taller cabinets to the ceiling--I will add a photo of my cabinets for example
Melissa in WV