Laminate Countertops Falling Apart

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

KSHL

We've lived in our 1992 Norris SW for about 10 years now and we've ready to start remodeling. My first concern is our laminate countertops in the kitchen and in the bathrooms. They just seem to be falling apart. In the kitchen it's actually pulling up from the countertop and in the bathroom it's coming off on the sides. We're on a pretty tight budget so I'm really trying to find the most costwise way of redoing them. I searched the forums and noticed that some people have painted their laminate. How would fix the laminate that's coming off before trying the paint?
DCDiva

Go to Lowes--were I got mine--or other box store and buy new laminate very cheap and easy--they come cut already-- the price is @ $ 11 a foot so 44 for a 4 ft,66 for 6 ft,88 for 8 ft and they have really nice colors,here is ours
Trudi

Hmm, seems like I've seen someone on TV apply heat with an iron to activate the glue or something. I'm not sure how to go about it without damaging the laminate. Maybe someone here has seen that.???
Greg

If you are trying to save the counters you have now, you could try to re glue the laminate. The surfaces must be clean, and contact cement is used. I have not had much success repairing laminate counters, you may be able to.

I have done 2 tile jobs on our kitchen counters. It is a fairly cheap and durable top. The only draw back is if you tend to drop things like glasses or dishes, they tend not to have a great survival rate.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DCDiva

Sorry I was typing fast and did not edit--the prices I quoted was for the laminated counters tops in whole --not just laminate itself--I have had --in the past--tile counter top for a island we built--yes very easy to do,we put cut down oak trim on the ends--I hated the grouted seams--could not keep them clean and my kids would spill juice or kool aid and I had to regrout to get the stain out,I just had no luck with them, the same with my tile floors,we sealed both and they just stain --I took them out in my kitchen,hw now, as they were too slippery,when wet, too just have them in my bath and hardwood floors in my master bath,not a good idea lol
Melissa aka DCDiva--daycare diva my other life when not remodeling ;)
joedirt63

sounds crazy but the iron thing is done on the ends of the counter top to finish it off , did that for the bath room counter, kit from lowes , glueing the old broken peics good if you get it clean,like greg said tile is good but yea grout gets dirty and hard to clean, i've painted our countertop, sanded formica,w 320 wet dry sandpaper{ my dad and i had a auto body shop so i still use his wet sanding techinecs when i can plus less dust} got this brush on primer from h/d this stuff sticks to everything and anything,even hard to scrape off of glass. painted a soft green and speckeled it then 3 coates of urathane. been a year and only one chip,and thats my fault ,i droped a cast iron fry pan on it. :mrgreen:
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
CDG

Those counter tops at home depot and lowes How do you cut them without screwing up the laminate... Thanks......
JD
Site Admin

I use a fine tooth carbide blade on a SkilSaw and cut from the bottom side of the countertop. Whichever saw you use, you want the cut stroke leading into the formica not the particle board. Sometimes a little finish work is needed with a belt sander. Cutting straight around the backsplash area can be tricky, so I will cut a little wide and sand the edge straight.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bell30655

Another tip I learned when cutting counter top is to like JD said cut from the bottom but before doing that run a strip of tape along where you are going to cut. My local home depot wizard showed me this trick it works pretty well.
Northern Star

Ditto the masking tape idea. It works.
quinnbeia

Great tips. But I think something wise that You have to replace laminate countertops with a granite countertop. My colleague had also done this. As per my wast experienced will need t be well supported. I hope that You like it.
susanne2clinton

Quartz Counter-tops are Maintenance Free.Its better than Laminate one. :D
joedirt63

well depending on your budget,decor and length of the counter you may look into a butcher block type it's wood and thick and very sound . you can seal it or treat it with oil, it's not for every one ,depends on your tastes.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Perhaps a section of bowling alley?? That would be unique.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
AbbottsManor

Greg wrote:Perhaps a section of bowling alley?? That would be unique.

Greg
What a coincidence, the is a section of bowling alley floor on our local craigslist!

Chris