sound deadening for interior wall?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I'm dividing our sun porch in half with a 10' x 8' wall.
I get a half for a new shop and the wife gets a new sitting room. She want it to be QUIET. sort of.

I'm staggering 2 x 4 studs on a 2" x 6" floor and sealing plates with some king of insulation.
Heat insulation is not the problem, just sound.
Of course the local big box stores only carry what sells fast and not what a few would need.
I saw that Roxul makes a type of bats, but not available locally.

Spray foam and blown-in are way to costly for a small wall.
Possibly a few layers of rigid foam sheets. Not sure.

Has anyone used a deadening material that is cheap and works fairly well? :roll:
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

You can check here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_15992_soundproof-room.html

Or google sound proofing a room.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

I got a pack of Johns Manville R-19 for thermal and sound control. 87 sqft. 9 bats.

To completely sound proof a wall is costly and elaborate, like a recording studio.
With 5/8 Sheetrock on either side of the 6" thick, 2 x 4 double stud wall it should do just fine.
Then comes the Vinyl Allure flooring. I'll post some photos later.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
flcruising

You're on the right track with the double stud walls. The problem is isolating the materials so they don't conduct the sound waves through to the other side. I believe you will have more sound transmitted through the floor joists than the wall. Maybe you want to look into using metal framing, lighter too.

Here's some basic assemblies that may help - http://www.stcratings.com/assemblies.html
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Lorne

:) Well, today the guy came and installed my DW's new wall.

5/8" Sheetrock on each side of a 2x6, staggered 2x4"'s wall with Johns Manville 6-1/2" acoustic/thermal insulation on BOTH SIDES. Talk about being packed.

Packed in because we don't car about heat insulation, just sound. BOY, is it quiet .
couldn't even hear the compressor going on the other side of the wall.

Now I have to start trimming out the corners and the laying the Traffic Master flooring.

Not to mention that I now have a heated and air conditioned work shop. ALL to myself. :lol:
Greg

Lorne, By the power vested in me, I hereby knight you the "Go to guy for soundproofing questions"!!!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

So, now I am a "Go to guy for soundproofing questions"!!!! or GTGFSQ. Neat title, thanks.
since we're friends you can just call me "G if you want.

Here is what the inside of the wall looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23925344@N06/5374714777/

I will be posting more photos as I get closer to completion.
flcruising

Good detail. Glad it worked out so well. Now if you could tell me what to apply to the steel I-beams underneath my house to dampen it's tingy vibrations that would be great G.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Lorne

When do you hear the "Tingy" sounds?
I something hitting them or is it when you PARTAY?
On steel buildings I've seen them coat the girders with what looks like thick bubbly white foam "Stuff".

Possibly a heavy coat of Spray Foam. Costly though. You can buy kits as a DIY. 2 tanks like propane tanks, hose and a nozzle. A hundred dollars or so per kit. Cheaper than hiring it out.