Vertical Blinds - can they be painted?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

barblee

I have some vertical blinds, ones that are smooth and white on one side with the other side having some color but the surface is not smooth, it has some texture to it.

Is there a way the textured side can be painted? If so what procedure could be used and should I use any specific type of paint.

Thank you.
Jaie

It depends on what they are made of. I'm going to assume they are vinyl with more than likely a fabric texture. I suggest using Krylon Fusion.

http://tinyurl.com/2suzg

In order to paint blinds, it's IMO really a bad idea to take them apart unless you are totally convinced you can get them together. If you are lucky and these verticals are on hooks, you can remove each single blind and paint it on it's own and then paint the hanger frame. If not you need to lay them down outside on a tarp if you don't want your grass to be painted. I'll give you some steps to take.

1. Wash them thoroughly. I usually suggest that people put them in the back of a pickup and take them to the car wash. Wash them on soapy wash only. No waxes unless you are just going to take them home and hang them. Use the wand, not an automatic car wash. If you can't take them to a car wash, then take them outside, and on a blanket use warm soapy water. The blanket will get soaked and will clean both sides as you work. Use a strong cleaner. I suggest Mean Green. It's a great de-greaser and cleaner. Dust is greasy if it's on there long enough.

2. After they are dry, lay them outside on the sunniest day you can get. If you want to protect your grass, then lay them on out on a piece of plastic. If you don't have the type that can be taken apart, simply open them as wide as possible while laying them down. Let them dry a bit if they have to. Then wrap the cord up as much as possible and cover it with some masking tape. This way it doesn't get painted. Better a white cord than a tie dyed one that doesn't match.

3. Using your can of Krylon, spray evenly from top to bottom NOT side to side. This will keep them looking like factory made and not a bad paint job. You will probably have to do at least 2 coats and 4 might be ideal. The paint is made for plastic and works great.

4. Paint the support bar. Side to side from end to end.

5. Let them dry in the sun as long as possible. This is best if you clean in the morning, paint at noon, and let them dry until 6 or so depending where you live. The longer the sun is on them, the dryer they will get.

6. If you were able to take them apart, you can now put them back together.

Now you can hang them. This paint is pretty good stuff, it won't chip or peel. I've used it on outdoor chairs with excellent results. I suggest 4 cans per set of blinds.
Jim from Canada

painting blinds is a pain! Another thing that is a pain is putting on a decal or wallpaper. Sometimes it works out looking good though! Blinds are pretty cheap though! If you want to paint them, spraying is the only way to go!

Jim
Jaie

Jim from Canada wrote:painting blinds is a pain! Another thing that is a pain is putting on a decal or wallpaper. Sometimes it works out looking good though! Blinds are pretty cheap though! If you want to paint them, spraying is the only way to go!

Jim
Yes and no. If you don't care that they are white, yeah go out and buy new verticals. But have you priced verticals lately? NOT cheap. Not only that, but most in a trailer are custom jobs. Not cheap. And if you want them in a custom color to match a decor, then don't even bother. Very pricey. We are talking 100's of $$.

And decals, it depends. I've put decals up in many places.I use http://www.wonderfulgraffiti.com and have never had a problem. Sure, if you are trying to put something that technically isn't made for this sort of effort, you'll have problems.
sherry

Hey everyone,
Dupli Color makes a vinyl and fabric paint that would most likely work. Body shops and do it yourself painters use it on the dash and plastic interiors of cars. Another tip--I'm lucky enough to have a whirl pool bath tub, I unhook the blinds, lay them in the tub, add soap and kick it on. Does a great job.
sherry
Yanita

LOL,

How creative is that, certainly not something I would of thought of!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sherry

Thanks !
I work 60 plus hours at my job--The last thing I want to do is spend all my free time cleaning. I think having time to do the things you LIKE is really important.
Sherry