more info please

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

ltb718

we have a coleman presidential II that will run but is not heating...we had the gas co come out and they said we need to replace the burner control valve...not enough gas is coming in and
what little that makes it through gets cooled by the blower...they did check at the stove and the gas pressure there is fine...what part would we be looking at for this...thanks. linda
Robert

Hi Linda,

Did they inspect the burner orifice and spud behind the gas valve between it and the burner tube ?

Did they check manifold gas pressure at the gas valve ? IF so, what was the manifold pressure ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
ltb718

Hi! Robert,
The gas co did not remove any parts for inspection...they did check the pressure at the furnace not sure if it was at the manifold...(and he did not give any pressure readings)...and at the gas range which are only a few feet apart from each other....sorry i don't have more info for you to go on...
Robert

Hi,

Due to cost of gas valve, I would first inspect the burner orifice/spud for spider-web-bugs.

Also need to know input gas pressure at gas valve and manifold pressure from gas valve.

Also be sure gas valve has 24vac at the gas valve terminals at all times during call for heat.

That would verify what is the problem and could stop possibly buying an unneeded part.

An hvac tech may be needed for this to ensure correct diagnosis.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
ltb718

Thanks, Robert...
i am calling some local hvac companies and it seems that due to the age of the unit their first response is that a new unit is needed...i actually had 1 tell us a new unit installed was going to be $4000...which is all fine and good but the sales price for the mobile next to us and it is a nice well cared for mobile is $5000...i can't justify the expense...i just want the need repair...i'll keep looking until i find the right person...any suggestions of how to find/screen the
right hvac tech for the job??...i am a woman and my dad is elderly...it seens like these are 2
groups that are easily taken advantage of and i'm trying to be at leat a little bit educated in the
matter...Thanks, Linda
Robert

Hi Linda,

Have them show you the burner orifice.spud and that it is clear. Take a pic and send to me of it to know it IS the orifice.

Then get them to test gas pressure entering/input and leaving/manifold gas valve and tell me what it is.

Again, have them show you the readings.

Do same for testing voltage at gas valve terminals.

I can then tell you IF a gas valve is needed.

No need to replace as long as the heat exchanger does not have a crack.

IF they test that and say it does, have them show you and again, take pics and send them this way.

Thanks,
Robert