Amana for Mfg Home?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

paigeroni

Hi,

I have an older Nordyne Intertherm and many problems keeping the pilot lit. Today the HVAC guy came out, and as he took things apart, he showed me a potential weak spot in the heat exchanger (?) where a hole may form.
He said the furnace should be okay this winter, but next year I should look at replacing it. And he suggested an Amana - total cost installed about $4,800.
I can't find anything about Amanas for Mfg Housing. Is it an approved brand? Also, the price seems a little steep. Is Amana a high-end furnace? My house (Redman dbl-wide) is 17 years old, and a mid-range quality furnace would suit me fine.

Thanks for any info on this. I've been to the forum before with my furnace woes and you guys are always so helpful. I really appreciate it!

Elise
Troutdale, Oregon
colddonkey

Not familiar with Amana furnaces but I'm having the central air system which is an Amana removed when my new furnace is replaced this weekend. Never impressed with the performance of the unit. Also have several Amana window A/C units which after getting them home saw that they are made under license by Haier which is a Chinese owned company. I'm finally swearing off Amana products they just are not made like they use to be.
paigeroni

Thanks for the info. I wondered about Amana because I never knew they made furnaces.

Elise
Robert

Hi,

Amana is not a upper tier unit and they have good and bad points like other units. Do not know if they are mobile home approved, but if it is a gas furnace, it would have to be.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
paigeroni

Thanks, Robert! I talked to my furnace man again, and now we're talking Intertherm instead.

Elise
Robert

Hi Elise,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
1987Commodore

FYI, I had a 90% efficient Miller (Intertherm) 60,000 btu natural gas unit installed fall of 2009, for well less than half of your estimate. I have a separate central air package unit. I am very happy with it. The air temp stays more even, and the gas bill has gone down.
Robert

For added info, Miller and Intertherm are two separate furnaces. They are both manufactured however by Nordyne.

Thanks,
Robert
1987Commodore

Ah! Thanks for the correction.
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert