DGRT070AUA - Thermostat has to be repositions to work

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dowdle

I have a model DGRT070AUA furnace. After being out of town for Thanksgiving and coming back home... the house was cold. Cycling the thermostat control to the extreme left, extreme right, and then positioning it to the desired temp, the furnace would come on... and continue to run until the desired temperature was reached. However once the desired temperature was reached and the furnace was turned off, it would not come on unless the thermostat was monkeyed with again. When the thermostat is repositioned I can hear an audible click come from the furnace.

I replaced the thermostat but the problem remains.

Any idea what is causing this problem and how to fix it? I have scheduled a visit from a local repair services but I would definitely like to know more about the system so I don't get taken advantage of.

I also do NOT have a manual for the furnace and would like to locate one. Everywhere I've looked online so far had many different models from Coleman but not the DGRT series.
Robert

You would have to test the circuits to find out what is causing it. Could be an intermittent short, loose wire or a bad component. Sounds like an electrical problem from what you stated.

Call Mark tomorrow @ 605-229-2627 and see if he has a manual for your furnace.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dowdle

Thanks for the reply. The repair guy is coming over this morning to have a look at it so hopefully I'll know what the issue is real soon... and I'll post it here just for completeness and in case someone else with the same problem comes along. :)

I'll also call about the manual. Thanks!
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dowdle

Service guy came by and went through a long checklist of maintenance items... so it was given a good cleaning. He said that it is a very simple furnace with regards to troubleshooting and that all of the checks turned out good... so nothing is broken in the furnace.

His guess from his experience is that we have a bad ground that is causing the problem. He said that he has run into bad grounds fouling up furnaces at least twice... and one was on a brand new furnace that they had already replaced almost everything on it without a change. So basically he can't fix it because it isn't broken... and that an electrician was needed next.

SO... I called the number and asked about a manual... but Mark wasn't available... so now I'm thinking that since my furnace isn't broken (at least for now)... that I can do with out that.

Are your manuals service manuals or users/owners manuals?
Robert

Owners manuals.

Thanks,
Robert