Gas valve questions???

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

carlsauction

I have a Coleman Presidential model 7995c856

I replaced the gas valve, (Pilot light wouldn't light)

New valve seemed to work fine for a day or so then it would not open. If I turn off the toggle switch under the top cover and wait a few seconds, it will usually light right up. Sometimes it cycles a few times before quitting again, sometimes once it shuts down it wont light again. Pilot stays lit.

Shows 22 - 24 volts across the valve. valve clicks like it is opening, but no gas is flowing.

Tonight I thought I should check the pressure so I installed a T in the propane line coming to the furnace. My homemade gauge shows a "no flow" pressure of 20 -21 inch water column.

when either my dryer or the furnace kicks in, it drops to 11" and when they are both burning it drops to 10".

20" seems a little high, I was thinking it should only be at 14"

could the pressure cause the gas valve to not open consistently??

Any other Ideas on why the valve isn't opening??

Thanks

Carl
gordo48111

Does the furnace stay on when the dryer is on? It is possible that 20"w.c. could cause problems with the valve. Did you actually make that "homemade" gauge or just install a manufactured one? There should be a regulator on your tank that can be adjusted if it is working properly. 14"w.c. is the norm for propane. But from what you are describing, if turning the power off and on corrects the problem, it sounds like something else is going on.
"Man...that blowed up real good!"
Robert

Inspect burner tube, burner orifice, pilot tube and pilot burner for clogs or blockages.

IF all is ok and you have constant 24vac at gas valve and gas valve is new, I would call out an hvac tech.

I also would not trust any homemade pressure gauge.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?