freezing faucets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lilacgirl

I just installed new heat tape and insulated my pipes. But they are still freezing in the kitchen. It is 10 below zero windchills, but i lived in an older mobile home ten years ago and never had these kind of issues. The cupboards have very cold air in them, would adding insulation to the walls behind the cupboards make a difference?
Greg

Hi & welcome. A few things to make sure of. Pipes insulated in addition to heat tape. Underbelly intact with insulation. The pipes are protected from the cold with heat radiating from the heat ducts. It is important that the underbelly is sealed & insulated to keep the heat in the belly area. Skirting, it needs to be tight with no open spaces or gaps. This is important to keep the wind out as well as adding a second "dead air space" between the underbelly and the outside.

Try leaving the cupboards doors open to allow a little more warm air to reach the pipes. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Id second the idea of opening the bottom cupboards, it works if youre in a jam.
Besides what Greg suggests, Id add sealing where the pipes come up through the floor/cabinets. Sometimes a small air gap can let in the cold there as well.
Tip your bartender.....