This Old Trailer Online

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jaie

I'm unsure if this has ever been shared here but if not, it should be.

http://www.thisoltrailer.com

This Ol Trailer heads out to the city this fall for the renovation of this classic 30 foot 1945 Stewart Coach.

Neat little page.
PennylessZ28

Thats pretty neat, one of my neighbors 3 homes down has a 1958 something or ruther, he showed me inside, and he has it fully restored, beautiful wood throughout, the kitchen is so old fashion and neat looking.
Yanita

Hi Jaie,

Thanks, and no I do not recall that link being shared. When I get a minute I will look through it.

How's your renos coming along?

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

Yanita wrote:Hi Jaie,
How's your renos coming along?

~Yanita~
All work on That 70's Trailer have stopped. Soon we'll be moving into That 80's Trailer :o Much less work and I hope I can find someone who wants this place in the few months I have to get rid of it. But I'm truly looking forward to starting fresh with the "new" trailer.
Jaie

PennylessZ28 wrote:Thats pretty neat, one of my neighbors 3 homes down has a 1958 something or ruther, he showed me inside, and he has it fully restored, beautiful wood throughout, the kitchen is so old fashion and neat looking.
After my experiences with my current trailer, I really admire anyone doing a rebuild on anything even older. But man, I'd LOVE a pre 60's trailer. How fun that renovation must be!!
bilbar25

I'm trying...I really am...but that word is getting on about the last nerve I have!

I know...like water off a duck's back...let it go! Still trying!!! :(

I suppose it somewhat natural to call homes made in 60's and earlier THAT name! But, I live in a 1974 house..home..at worst...a MOBILE HOME!

I do NOT live in a TRAILER!

There....I feel better now!!

:wink:
[color=red]When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice![/color]
lonestar1947

The 1950's were the "golden age" of mobile homes! I never thought much of "trailers" Then I bought some property up North with an old trailer on it, planning on junking it, then I became interested, (why would anyone live in something that had wheels on it?!)

Fast forward. 6 years later. I'm still slowly restoring my 1955 ABC Coach, at 45' x 8', they managed to squeeze 2 bedrooms, full bath, kitchen, and front room into that space!

All aluminum exterior, with a golden birch interior!

The advice I've gotten on this forum has been very helpful!, I like to think my "mobile" is a great-granddaddy to some of the new models in the neighborhood.

My "mobilehome" could be that...it still has the wheels on it!
Jaie

bilbar25 wrote: I do NOT live in a TRAILER!

There....I feel better now!!

:wink:
*shrug* my home is not mobile, therefore it is not a mobile home. The new one will be mobile for all of 20 minutes. It is also not a mobile home. I think if people are willing to have the word be offensive it will be. I am like many many many others out there however, that like the word trailer,use the word trailer, and will continue to use trailer to describe the places we live. I print a zine called "trailer trash" I have a few t-shirts with "trailer trash" on them, and together with others out there, I have turned the words "trailer trash" into something fun and kitschy. It's a word. Nothing changes it from being a home.

The words "mobile home" are never used in this area. It's trailer. And while I never tell anyone they can't call their home what they want, I also never care for people describing my home as something it isn't.
Jaie

lonestar1947 wrote:
All aluminum exterior, with a golden birch interior!

My "mobile home" could be that...it still has the wheels on it!
Ah, but there is the difference. The man who runs that site, and I have the same fun with formerly negative words. It's what you make of it as always. I have fun with the word "trailer" and seeing the look of pity on their faces when I say I live in a trailer. And then their amazement when I gush on how wonderful (broken floors and all) is is.

Those aluminum trailers are fantastic. I lived in one from the 50's years ago. Fantastic birch all lovely taken care of, and so clean...
Yanita

Hi,

Will not enter this debate, only correct one statement.

Once a mobile, always a mobile, regardless of it's ability to be moved, deeded as real property etc...as long as it has steel I beams running underneath...it is what it is...a MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOME.

Resume... :D

~Yanita~
flgmtech

That was so Funny!

Thank you for the link to the This Ol Trailer site, an excellent play on This Old House. I also followed the links from TOT and found other equally humorous sites based on Mobile homes, or Trailers or Manufactured homes so as to be politically correct.
http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/
I really enjoyed the TOT site, thank you again for the post.

Tim
flgmtech

The link I sent in my last post, has allot of very innovative pictures of add ons and conversions as well as a few pretty well decorated trailers, ooops.. manufactured homes. I urge those of you with an open mind to take a look
http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/
Tim
bilbar25

Apparently my comments about the use of the word "trailer" fell on over-sensitive ears!

Someone obviously overlooked the "wink" at the end of my post!

My comments were NOT meant to put anyone down, even if, in some cases, their reply is possibly inaccurate.

1. I never described anyone ELSE'S home as Mobile or Trailer, only that I did NOT live in a trailer.

2. A very brief search of a "certain" part of our country lists MANY, MANY, Mobile Home Parks, and almost NO Trailer Parks!!

This topic has been kicked around on this Forum many times before ---usually in a good-hearted fashion!

The one item I DO agree with is .."It's a word. Nothing changes it from being a home"!!

Now, can we get some BIGGER wink emoticons? :wink:

I STILL feel better! :lol:
[color=red]When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice![/color]
Yanita

Yup, I certainly missed your wink!

I certainly agree with you though, regardless of what anyone calls my home...it is just that a home! :lol:

You know I never paid any attention to the signs, but you are right, they say MH Park, not trailer park. Good observation.

Sometimes that is not even a fair statement, when we lived in Vt our "park" was actually a MH Community, difference, everyone owned the lot that they were on. No renting of homes or land.

Now, chuckling, our trailer is sitting out back of our home with a new gas/ac unit sitting on it...installation taking place as we speak.

Everyone have a great weekend! :wink:

~Yanita~
Jaie

Yanita wrote:Yup, I certainly missed your wink!

I certainly agree with you though, regardless of what anyone calls my home...it is just that a home! :lol:

You know I never paid any attention to the signs, but you are right, they say MH Park, not trailer park. Good observation.

Sometimes that is not even a fair statement, when we lived in Vt our "park" was actually a MH Community, difference, everyone owned the lot that they were on. No renting of homes or land.

Now, chuckling, our trailer is sitting out back of our home with a new gas/ac unit sitting on it...installation taking place as we speak.

Everyone have a great weekend! :wink:

~Yanita~
Y'all need to come to some parts of upstate NY. We have "trailer" parks. I swear. Top of the Hill in Volney NY is on off the top of my head. (really trailer trashy in the bad sense of the word as well ugh, we keep praying someday when everyone has gone out for the day the damn thing burns down)

And I never called mine mobile. Moving it would crack it half :D

And Bill, I'm not mad, and it didn't raise any feathers, I simply never found any big deal in calling it "trailer" or "mobile home". It's simply my home. I don't even care if people run my pace down. It's deserved it a few times. But compared to what most people have around here, I'm already well up on the food chain. (I've even been in homes with dirt floor here, I kid you not)