Oil Primer Rant

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

PennylessZ28

:evil: I don't like spraying oil primer through my graco airless!

But the person who lived in my home before me, was a smoker, and even after cleaning everything, it's evident, I'm going to have to go over everything will oil based T1 primer. Latex-water based kills doesn't cover.

Such a pain in the but to clean out of my rig.

That is all.
Yanita

Hmmm, there were heavy smokers that lived here prior to our purchase...to the point that the nicotine was literally streaks down the wall, washed right off with Krud Kleaner and was able to cover the rest with Kilz 2 Premium...

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

I haven't tryed Krud Kleaner....yet.

I DO know Simple Green works really good. Give it a try.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Harry,

Good to hear from you...was a K Mart today getting cleaning supplies, they now have Krud Kleaner for vinyl siding and I think another one for cars.

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

Used TSP, but tell me something, did you wash your popcorn ceiling?

:shock: Don't think so. I've been painting for a long time, oil primer will seal it right out and it spreads further than latex.

Tomorrow is the day, I just got home and I'm spraying tomorrow evening, pressure washing in the morning.

Anyways, I'm the King of over kill!
Yanita

DUUUUUUUH!

Now how many people do you reallllly think wash a popcorn ceiling!

Your choice...and LOL, I have been in the pro painting business as well......

Just a word of caution, not sure if you are trying to be funny or sarcastic....on the internet there is no expression or tone of voice. Myself as well as others have been here a while, our information is solid and reliable, and meant for all!

Remember that you are on a MH Repair site, not everyone has access to equipment that you might be able to use....

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

I'm high as a kite after spraying that crap.

Personally I think the oil covers better. There is no yellowing, how many coats of primer did you apply and how heavy was the nicotine saturation?

This stuff locks in, seals and kills the stain and bacteria. You can go over mold and consider it done.

It's about $15 dollars a gallon.

I know some people think paint is paint, but thats not true at all. There are better qualities and levels, especially in latex paint when it comes to titanium content percentage. For those wondering: they don't use lead anymore, its Titanium dioxide.)

As for primers, an oil primer will always out seal and cover the latex. You might get away with the latex killz on mild stains and things, priming bear wood. But heavy black stains or knots in wood for example, will bleed or yellow. It might take more than one coat. Oil will seal it better.

This is from my experince and the experince of my uncle whom I mostly work with, he's been painting for 30 years.

Oh, it was sarcasm. I'm aware of how people get confused over the internet. I've been running 3 forums for 5 years, and I never get amazed at the stupid fights I have to put out. Tech forums usually have it easier, but off-topic style forums there is more room for people to get their feelings hurt.

Sorry if I'm a lil more rowdy then ya'll are used to.
PennylessZ28

Your avatar makes if feel like I'm in trouble.

Must say, the place looks 100% cleaner, I also pressure washed the outside this morning looks bright and clean. No germs, I hate germs.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

What brand of primer did you use? I am not familiar with T-1 oil based primer.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

LOL Mike, you think Yanita's avitar is scary and makes you feel like your in trouble? Look at your avitar. Each time I look at it I squint. Seems like you're going to poke your finger in my eye! Just kidding!

I don't have popcorn ceilings thankfully! Those soak up smells like you wouldn't believe! Way to porous for my taste, not to mention a pain to upkeep.

I sure hope that if you went over mold, you found the source before just covering it up with oil based paint.

Using an oil based paint to kill stains is one thing. Using it to cover mold and bacteria is another thing. The mold and bacteria will spread to other areas. Mold and bacteria can't be controlled with any type of paint. I sure hope you took the appropriate measures to rid areas of mold and bacteria, if those were present.

Like Yanita mentioned, our information here is for everyday users. Not all of us are professionals, some folks just need an easier method. I know most of us that aren't professionals shy away from oil paint!

Personally, I still prefer latex paint. But then I don't have popcorn ceilings, and I'm not a painting pro, so to speak. I'd rather get rid of of the old popcorn ceilings. Either scrape it off, after soaking with water or replace with new drywall. I am so not a fan of popcorn ceilings! They are just nasty to deal with! I prefer a flat ceiling that I can scrub once a year.

Clean freak here, even cooking can stain those popcorn ceilings. Even with oil paint, they are still a pain to clean each year.

Glad to hear that your project is finished!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jim from Canada

For small stains and bleeding knots in wood I have always had good luck with putting a coat of shellac on them before painting. Seals them up and they will not show through. Of course any stains/mold should be fixed at the source, but when you are trying to make an appartment that you rent look livable you aren't going to start tearing down walls etc. So glad I own my place now, although there is not a room in my place where you can't see insulation from tearing things apart lol. Oh well, a bit at a time as we can afford it.

Jim
Yanita

Hi,

Me confused, nope not today or many others,

Feelings hurt, not on a website...

Now you said you used an oil based primer called T 1, could you please be more specific, I can not seem to locate a primer in that name, thinking it is something other than what you call it...could you clarify.

$15.00 a gallon is pretty good, heck I paid about 22.00 a gallon for Kilz 2 Premium.

Hey you got some pics to show off your handy work...would like to follow along...

~Yanita~
kashton

I just want to say that this site makes me chuckle everyday!

:lol:
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
flgmtech

Hi Mike,

I agree with Maureen, I had so many walls that had black mold that I tore all the walls out and then redid the roof to stop the intrusion of water that caused the mold.

Tim
Sylvia

I'd third the popcorn ceiling motion. There were also heavy smokers here prior to us buying it, probably more than just tabacco cigarettes, but that's another story :roll: