Soundproofing a wall

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Maineman

My wife is sensitive to noise. Our heater is on the otherside of our bedroom wall and mt wife hears it when the blower comes on.

We are remodelling now and was thinking of adding some bat insulation (not faced) between the studs and then covering them with plastic. This should work and should not trap moisture.

Any comments?

Thanks
Harry

Hi

I'm betting the added insulation will dampen the noise somewhat but will not eliminate it.

We removed our furnace and installed a HVAC package unit with heat strips. We have zero furnace noise in the master bedroom now.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

If you post this in the Heating and Cooling forum Robert, our tech will gladly advise on what is safe and sound....

Actually I can just move it for you! :lol: Almost forgot I could do that. Follow me there.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You can also add a second layer of sheetrock seperated by a 2x2. That creates dead air air space that helps absorb sound. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

All of above will help as long you ensure anything near furnace is fire retardant.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
PennylessZ28

What about DynoMat ?

http://www.dynomat.com/public/sound-proofing.html

I've seen it used in high end home theater rooms, and I used it in the Trans Am.....
Jaie

I also like Homasote. You usually see it in art studios since it can be pinned. But it's a green product, and older than most green products out there which I love. I suggest putting it between your studs then covering with either paneling or if you can, the thinner sheet rock. One layer will sound proof, (I've heard of it being used to fill an old door area and being more sound proof than the adjacent plaster) and it's cheap.

http://www.homasote.com/nch.html