Newbie with tax question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hello, I am in the process of purchasing a 1979 Sun Dancer 14X70 in Missouri. It is my first purchase of this kind and I was curious about how to find out if any taxes are owed on this property. I just read a few horror stories on the net about people finding out too late and the trailer being sold out from underneath them for back taxes. How would I go about getting this information? And how does the process work, do I receive a title? I have always rented and I'm sure that purchasing a mobile home is different than purchasing a traditional home.
Thanks so much and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Challa
archive

I'd say call the county assessor's office, or if you are nearby, visit and ask. They're usually quite helpful people.
As to the second question, will you be buying the land as well? If so, it can be financed in the same manner as a "traditional" home. If you are buying this on your own (no realtor) it may be worth a bit of money to visit a real estate attorney, to have them look over your proposed contract.
If you are buying this home on rented land, the interest rate will be higher, due to the cost of moving it to another property if needed.

HI,

Again welcome to the site. Typically I would ask you to check out all the links and get to know the site...but, hopefully by Monday we will have a new look!

Anyways the info you have been given is correct, but not completely. If you are buying a home that is also on land that you are buying as well, in order for it to qualify for traditional financing typically it will need to have brick/block underpinning. If that is in place then typically the home can be deeded as real property. These rules may differ from area to area, but I believe that it is pretty much the requirment.

As for the taxes owed if any, yes go to the tax collectors office and they can let you know. You can generally get the info off line as well as it is public knowledge.

Since this is your first MH purchase I suggest and encourage that you check out the OT forum and do a search here on site of various things that people have gone thru. Also there is a list of items to look for in your home before committing to buy. I believe the thread is in April of this year.

I am going to move this thread to the OT (Off Topic) forum as it is currently in the Repair forum.

Again, Welcome to the site!8-)

~Yanita~
archive

I am purchasing a fixer upper in a park, I just don't know how the process works quite yet as I am in the initial stages. I just want to make sure that I have all of the bases covered and I am armed with information.
archive

Thats fine, just go to the navigation drop menu, click, scroll to search, click and do a search thru the April 2006 post. I made one about many things to look for as far as the actual condition of the home.
Since you are new to the process and MH purchasing there are many areas that will need your inspection and the inspection of a MH inspector.

Good luck, and do yourself a huge favor and search this forum.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Folks, welcome to the forum!

My best suggestions is research, research and then research some more!

Each of our homes, depending on age and local, face different problems. The more you know, the better you're equiped to face realtors or sales people.

As far as taxes or even title goes, check with your local authority, like Yanita mentioned! Your county recorders office will give you a run down on the home. Your accessor's office will get you up to date with taxes.

Your very best bet, if you don't have the time to learn about mobiles, is to find someone, even an inspector to come in and check it out before you sign on the dotted line.

Maureen 8-)