Tub Drain Broke Off

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sdshaw2

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help me. We have a 91 Fairmont. I was about to take a shower the other day and noticed the circular edge of the tub drain was cracking off. One little touch and the rest of it broke off. I can see the sewage pipe now through the hole in the tub. We bought a drain wrench to try to remove the rest of the threaded drain from the sewage pipe, but the drain won't budge and we keep ending up moving the actual sewage pipe a centimeter or so off center instead of the drain.

Will we have to remove our tub to handle this problem? It's a plastic garden tub, the original from 91. Will it most likely crack if it is removed? Also, is it possible there is water pooling below the tub if the crack for example was too small to notice for awhile? Or would that be negligible? We are still learning about mobile homes every day, so this is still new to us.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks!

-Stephanie
Greg

Hi & welcome. Some homes have a small access panel through the underbelly to get to the trap, with any luck you may have one. You may end up CAREFULLY cutting the remains of the old drain to remove it.

Water is your homes worst enemy, You want to get the problem fixes soon. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I am thinking that when the drain moves, it is swiveling on the compression fitting of the P-trap. It should move back into place, but it should also be tightened into place, which is done from underneath.

On the drain, you can use a hack saw blade and cut the drain lengthways, up and down against the threads. I don't cut all the way through the metal drain (damage to abs thread or tub hole). I usually cut all the way through just at the bend where the drain goes flat, and then just scar top flat area and then down the drain about an inch to an inch.5. Then screwdriver and a pair of pliers will get the drain out. Just grab the edge of the cut and twist.

That is how I do it anyways.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Groo

was it just the drain that broke?
or the flange that the drain squeezes?