Covered deck

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flint

I will soon be reroofing my mobile home using your instructions in the mobile home manual. I also have a covered deck that needs replaced. It currently has rolled roofing over plywood sheets. I think some of plywood are rotted and I will replace that first. Following your advice, I plan on using metal roofing on deck roof also but will treat as separate unit from main coach. What do i need to put over plywood before putting down the metal roofing?
Greg

You really do not need plywood if you are putting down steel panels. I set ours up like a pole barn and just used 2x4s across the roof joists and screwed into them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I agree with Greg, only I would use 2x6, 24" o.c. min. I am thinking that the metal panels would rust pretty quick laid on top of plywood and the metal does not need sheathing. The manufacturer may even state this in their documentation or warranty.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark440

I had a metal roof over my deck - and it was blazing hot on some days. The metal just radiated the heat from this texas sun.

I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the look and feel - but if some sort of foam-sheet insulation could be mounted, and then the sheet metal over that - it might help to control some of the radiant heat from the metal.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

You could foam the bottom of the steel and cover it with vinyl sofett to give it a finished look. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Paint it white on top, that should help the heat tremendously.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
flint

Thanks for all your great advice. It gives me alot to think about.