Hola!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

kashton

I have laminate floors through-out, for two reasons. Can't stand the feel of carpet on my bare feet, and if you've ever seen what collects under a carpet, well, thats why. I have allergies too.

I am never surprised what I find in, under, or around a mobile home. I always figure there will be more work than what I planned.

Yanita obviously spent more time looking at pics. I thought it didn't look bad, but again, I was concentrating on my rotten wall and tree roots.

Good luck with your project!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi,

I was in construction for many years, currently have a cleaning business, and I am very observant.

Now with the carpet removed I see you have particle board flooring, being in the construction trade you know these should be replaced with 3/4 plywood. You can either replace the damaged sections or the entire floor. We always do the latter.

As for that leak, the water damage could be from several causes, the windows, awnings or roof. I apologize I have not read your profile yet. So I do not know what type of roof you have or gutters/j channel might be in place. OOPs, I take that back you said the roof had been coated so you obviously have a metal rolled roof.

I suggest that you post your repair questions to the repair forum, sometimes folks only check that forum or areas of interest and this might get overlooked by others that have more info.

Just looking at the water damage you will need to replace all wet insulation,,patch or replace the floor, and replace wall board. You really need to find the source of the leak. It still looks wet and I see where mold is beginning to grow.

Yes, there are alot of women here that are very hands on in the remodel/repairs of their homes. So please do not take offense from women advising you on your repairs.

Since you have been reading here for awhile you will soon learn who specializes in one area more than another. Just for future knowledge sometimes we do not give out repair info on gas and electric.This we are pretty strict on. Either of those repairs can cause loss of life and/or home, sometimes it requires a pro to complete the job.

Laminate flooring is a good choice for MH due to the seasonal movement of our homes. But it is generally recommended that you use sheet vinyl in bathrooms. As you have already discovered water is detrimental to these homes.

Have a good night,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
PennylessZ28

Good info.

Yeah, MDF, what the heck is that about. I'm afraid I'll find it throughout, is that common?

I'm sure as the week goes on, I'll have questions.

Thanks for all your help! This site is great.
Yanita

Hi Mike,

Yes, unfortunately it is very common.

If you plan on staying in this home for any length of time I personally suggest replacing with 3/4 ply.

Did you take a moment to look at the link I supplied on the construction of MH's?

Another question, have you looked under your home, this area is every bit as important as what you see inside?

Have a good night,

~Yanita~
kashton

Listen to Yanita!!! I put off the underbelly for too long. Now I have alot of work to do from previous owners. I have to say though, I was pretty peeved about someone stealing my metal rake, but I found an old one under my trailer. Worked out good. I didn't have to crawl all the way to remove the old Buffalo board!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
PennylessZ28

Underneath my home is nice and clean and tight, no visible signs of leaking pipes, damage to the blackboard.

Did notice a lot of pipes with insulation wrapped around them and zip ties. Must of been a DIY.

As for the plywood, yeah...... :? Half the bathroom is plywood, the bedrooms are that cheapo stuff, gonna assume the kitchen is, but today, I discovered the living room is all plywood, its been redone.

I'm hoping to stay in this home for 2 to 3 years max, so I think I'm just going over the MDF.

Got my wall fixed today. Managed to find some insulation at the shop, so that was free, and we did a commercial project where we had a big enough sheet of 3/8 drywall left over for me to take home. SCORE!

I checked the awnings, and windows. Thanks for all advice. I have a few areas to point up outside.
wes

hi mike
we had the same problem with the wall board under the windows. from the looks of it we have the same crumby windows. what i found was that the sill drains get stopped from contact of the screen with the sill channel. raised the screen a bit and no more leaks.
Yanita

Hi.

As this thread is getting long and full of repair issues I am going to lock it off. Please post repair questions and pics for such up there.

Thanks, Yanita