Controling Bugs...Help!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bguy49

I am getting earwigs and other undesirable critters invading my space. What is a 'good' product that I can use for pest control? I tried Ortho Home Defense around the outside, but they still keep coming in.

Dave
68Marlette

Good Day! Take the Home Defense a bit farther in your application. Down here we have palmetto bugs, ants, including fire ants and unfortunately cockroaches live in the soil. I use a like product as Home Defense. At least twice a year I spray the skirting bottom rail and top rail. Around all windows and doors on the outside. Along the roof drip rail outside. Also the inside perimeter at the baseboards. I also spray around all the floor registers. My home is old and has return cold air registers in the floor also, they too get sprayed. I have sealed any holes with foam where plumbing or electric comes through the floors. Twice a year i bug bomb the inside and underneath at the same time. Preventative maintenance but it works for me. No critters and the very few that get in are dead within a few feet. I hope this helps. Jim
bguy49

What do you use for bug bombing underneath? I have vents in my skirting, do I need to close them off if I 'bomb' it?

Dave
68Marlette

Honestly, I buy what ever is on sale. They are commonly packed three so if i buy a couple I am set for a year. I don't do anything to my skirting. I remove a panel and just slide it back in after I set off the bug bomb. Make sure you follow the directions. Down here it is mostly an electric market so there are few pilot lights. You have to be aware and follow the directions on the can. I have the inside ready to go also, paper underneath the can, all the ignition sources turned off and windows closed. One centrally located underneath and one inside works for me. I set it off then I leave for several hours. When I come back in I ventilate per directions. They work for me. If i even see two dead spiders a year I am lucky. I do underneath and inside at the same time. I didn't want any bugs I chased out from underneath coming up into the home. Jim