Well pump?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

shaeness

Anyone here familiar with wells?

We're about to have the trailer we bought inspected, and we were wondering about the well pump.

Shouldn't the well pump be attached to the big pipe on the right? Are well pumps expensive to replace?
flcruising

The well pump looks to be missing. The 4" pipe on the right is the deep well casing that the pump rests at the bottom of. The red/green/black wires run with the (looks to be 1" PVC) supply pipe down to the pump. There will be a 'cap' at the top that seals it all in keeping things and critters out.

As far as price, it depends on the horsepower rating of the pump, and the depth of the well to get enough pipe/wire to it. I'd guesstimate $500-$1000.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

The tank is a pressure tank. It is to store some water so the pump does not have to run every time you use a small amount of water. The pump is either mounted in the bottom of the well or for shallow wells they may be at ground level. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

The last submersible pump I purchased cost about $600 plus $200 labor to install...a good pump should last about 20 years. It does look like you are missing a portion of your supply pipe which should emerge from the 4" riser tube. Look out in the yard for the well head...that is where the pump is lowered into...should be capped if it's a drilled well...mine is about 200' deep.
shaeness

Thanks everyone! That was super helpful! :)