wallpaper

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

neelata

What is the best method to wallpaper with newspaper? I recently bought my hometown newspaper business and I want to "wallpaper" the walls using copies of our newspaper. Has anyone had any personal experience with this that can give me any tips? Yes, I know newspaper yellows, blah blah blah. Our hometown paper is 119 years old, so if the "wallpaper" yellows and looks dated, that's fine with me as long as we can seal it effectively. Tips and suggestions only, please.
Last edited by neelata on Sat May 29, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Personally I Have never done wallpaper work, But I'm sure that some of our family members will have some ideas for you. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Trudi

I'm assuming that, for you purpose, you want the paper smooth and the print intact. I've done walls with "crumpled" gift wrap tissue paper, and also the brown contractors paper from Lowe's, which was also crumpled before applying. If you want it to go on straight, I'm thinking you would sort of be decoupaging it to the wall. You can probably prevent the yellowing by choosing a non-yellowing product to seal, but I don't know what you could use to apply the paper to the wall, that wouldn't cause the print to run. I would talk to a crafter who decoupages or someone who knows about wall papering adhesives/products.
marriednamobile

You definitely need to have a good base, if you're wallpapering over damaged wallpaper or unfinished drywall seal the wall with Gardz (google it) then paste and paper your heart away. Since the sealer dries clear, you could use that afterwards too to lock in the pattern you've applied.
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Lorne

Check out Mod Poge.
http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/

It might be just what you're looking for, just using it on a larger scale.
I used to sell it in a craft store many years ago.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Trudi

Lorne, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I hope there's something more cost effective considering how much will be needed for walls.

Neelata, I posted your question on another forum where I knew there were wallpaper hangers, whom I hoped would know what product you could use. Sorry, no one knew of anything.
MsFixIt

Newspaper? That's really, really neat! I've never thought about using that before. I remember visiting New York and the Chip Shop (restaurant in Brooklyn) had something like that. The only thing is that I thought it was just decorative wallpaper purchased from a store. Perhaps I was wrong!

If I would suggest anything, just flatten it out as much as possible. Perhaps make an intended print? Gosh, I wouldn't know where to start. I'd love to hear more suggestions because I'm intrigued. :D