Recent break in...in our park

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

malfunctionat61

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advise. Two home's in my park were broken into a few weekends ago, I think my house was next becasue they broke into my outside shed and took out a chair and shovel but didn't follow through maybe they were spooked. Anyway I am now concerned about safety especially my windows which are all new vinyle the locks don't seem secure and I don't want to drill holes becasue of the warranty. Any advise on what to use to secure windowns/doors. Thanks.
Northern Star

Brenda (OH)

the usual extra security locks are either a screw type device that screws onto the edge of the window track, or a piece of wood or metal put into the track to prevent the window from sliding in the track.....

are these house windows, or mobile home windows?

Brenda
Brenda (OH)

this is a picture of the screw type lock I mean, it might be available at your local home depot.
i did try to search this sites parts, i could not find them here, but if they are, maybe Mark can post how to see them...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ?langId=-1

Brenda (OH)

also... lights on timers, radio left playing, change arrive and depart times, etc all help...
if it makes you feel better, the park I am rehabbing in is having similar issues, it usually ends up being one or two unemployed desperate people. they get caught, it gets better for a while....
Greg

IMG_7568-1.JPG
But for a few dog bones they will help carry things out for you!! Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
terrifromohio

There are door strike plates you can buy at lowes that have 4 holes in them that replace the old strike plates on the doors. The new ones come with about three inch screws that go right into the studs at the doors making them harder to be kicked in. I had them in my old house and I am about to put them in here. Trailer doors are so flimsy its unbelievable. As for the windows I know there are these little window locks you put inside the windows that have screws in them that keeps the window from being opened. It is not installed on the window but I think goes in the track of the window itself, inside, should be fairly cheap. I know the door strike plates are only about 3.88 at Lowes and well worth the money. Lowes may have the window locks as well. The screws do not actually go all the way into the window sill so should not void any warranty you have on the window. Maybe do a Google search on window locks.
terrifromohio

Just did a search on window locks and Amazon has them they are Master Lock No. 5007D Sliding Window Locks and they are 1.00 each
malfunctionat61

Thank you all for your suggestions I will follow up on door strike plates and windows locks. As for the dogs...our park doesn't allow animals. This is a great site. Thanks again.