exterior sidewall range vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lindah

I ordered and received the exterior sidewall vent. When I removed the old vent, I noticed that it had some type of flange around it that went behind the siding. The new vent did not come with anything like that. So now, the vent cover is smaller than the opening in the siding. Anyone have any ideas?? I looked for, but did not find, any type of flange I could order seperately. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brenda (OH)

maybe get the molding that is water proof (it is white, made of pvc, it is for bathrooms, and some is for garage doors) and make your own flange/frame around the new vent.... install it with screws and caulk...? just an idea.... likely to last longer than wood....

Brenda
joedirt63

some home supply stores may have a blank type flange that you can install around the vent ducting,some thing like the plates used for exterior outlets or dryervents that go throught the side, also be sure to keep the j channle in tact or replace it if it gets damaged. it keeps the water from running behind the sideing.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me