Sponge Walls without Priming?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

C Buiniskis

Curious if this is just plain crazy - or hopefully, ok for now....

One small room has patterned wallboard that, believe it or not, is ok looking! BUT - one wall in that room is a solid green - not horrible, but too dark for me. I'm toying with the thought of doing a lighter color sponge effect on it for now, just to help lighten things up. We simply don't have time to prime & paint everything at the moment. Too many tasks with higher priority right now! :roll:

Oh and BTW, my thought was to use tinted primer instead of plaine ole paint.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and/or experiences!
Trudi

If it's only one wall, you could always try it and see, then prime and re-paint that one wall if it doesn't work. How successful it is to sponge over what's already there, kinda depends on what kind of paint is already on the wall. I don't personally like sponging on flat paint, for example.

I have also heard that old paint has already ripened and won't react the same with a paint treatment like sponging, etc. I don't know this to be fact, but I've read that.

If it's only one wall, and the room is small, that's not much area to cover, so if I were you, I'd try it, but be prepared to prime and paint over if you don't like it. Let us know how it goes. :-)
C Buiniskis

Trudi, Thanks for your thoughts. The dark green wall isn't painted, it's the same ole trailer wallboard. It's just that dark green instead of the pattern. Anyway, think I'll give it a try. It's small and we can always change it later!