Reroof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mmiiiiiz

Mark,

I have recently purchased your repair guide, with a interest in redoing the roof on an loder
14 x 70 mobile home with a curved roof, and was hoping you might be able to clarify a couple of things.

Should I use corrugated sheet metal, is that better or easier to work with than the flat stock with a few angled bumps on it I think they call it 5V?

Is there a specific guage that will bend more easily over the curve in the roof? I'm just concerned about the metal "kinking"

Can I use screws with rubber washers to fasten it down, rather than nailing?

Do I need any sort of foam to seal any of the overlaps, or the edges?

Thanks
GraceNC

I'm not Mark- but I've completed the task you are inquiring about.
I have the 'dome' roof...curved with the peak of the curve in the center.
I used the corrugated metal roof panels from Lowes. They come in 12"x 144" panels...2 feet is the coverage area, they are wider but you must subtract for the overlay.
These form to the domed roof quite well! Was so easy I did it myself- and I'm a single mom.
I used the neoprene screws- the kind you mentioned. I also used Silicone to seal each seam. I used several cases of silicone and tons of screws. (I used too many on the first few panels until I learned the proper placement)
I also used silicone to seal each screw.
With the dome, I needed 2 more feet to extend the 144", so I cut a few panels and just used them on the back side of the home so that each 'panel' was 168".
The panels did not kink a bit and this was a smooth process.

Just had a tornado over my home last week- for real! Destroyed houses down the road where it touched down...when we ran out to take shelter in the basement- we felt the wind pulling UPWARDS...really scary. I thought for sure the roof was going to come off and the winds were going to toss the home. But luckily, the home stayed put and

My roof stayed on! And my neighbors in shingled roofed homes- lost shingles!

Couldn't believe it!

Sorry to intrude on your post as you did ask for Mark, but I thought another layperson's perspective on their experience would help.
mmiiiiiz

Thanks for the reply GraceNC, it sounds like you did a great job. I'm going to have the panels custom cut to length, so there's no going back!
lowery3171

I am planning a new metal roof very soon. My trailer is a 1968 Monarck which is 12' x 48' and has a curved roof with a peak opposite the curve. My question to graceNC is the size of the panel that was used. What is the width? I know the length is 144" but I was confused(easy to do) as to the width.

You can email me, [email protected]

Thanks
Greg

You can do a search, JD our roof expert has posted many times on roofing issues. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
GraceNC

lowery3171 wrote:I am planning a new metal roof very soon. My trailer is a 1968 Monarck which is 12' x 48' and has a curved roof with a peak opposite the curve. My question to graceNC is the size of the panel that was used. What is the width? I know the length is 144" but I was confused(easy to do) as to the width.

You can email me, [email protected]

Thanks
I got mine at Lowes, but they are sold almost anywhere-
I needed something lightweight, cheap, long lasting, and a DIY product:
from Lowe's website:

12' Galvanized Steel Corrugated Roof Panel
•30 gauge high strength steel
•Plain galvanized
•24 inch coverage
•Easy to install

They are 26" wide; however, you must allow overlap. I overlapped more than recommended and going up the slope to the higher level roof, I allowed way more overlap.
lowery3171

Thanks GraceNC, That clears it up for me.
matilda11

A roof is the covering on the uppermost part of a building. A roof protects the building and its contents from the effects of weather.