window sills

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

Hi Gang,
Not all, but most of the paneling that lines my window sills is rotten and falling apart :( , the result of condensation between my inside storm windows and the outside windows. I am curious as to how others have dealt with this problem. I was thinking of replacing the sill lining with pieces of MDF but I'm unsure how moisture affects this stuff...it has to be something with 1/4" thickness. Any ideas??
-Steve
Brenda (OH)

if you have enough space, I have peeled off as much of the old paneling/sill lining as possible, patched with 1/4 luann, and cut strips of granite patterned stick on tile, (stuck on and stapled in place about every 4 inches) and caulked the edges of the tiles.... so far so good, has been through 90 plus heat and 20 degree cold... but only 6 months been in place.... I used a fairly good quality tile, 18 inch square, that I can buy 1 at a time at the home improvement store. also a great way to use up tiles scraps from where I install a vinyl tile spot by exterior doors to help keep the carpet nice.

Brenda (OH)
Brenda (OH)

I only mentioned the 18 inch square because I can cut strips out of it faster than if I were cutting the strips out of 12 inch "stock". I liked the tile I was using because it was pretty much score it, snap, cut the color coat layer, I did not have to cut completely through the tile while making the strips... Brenda
Greg

Well Steve, do you want to fix the problem or the result of the problem?
The problem is that style of windows are junk. As you can tell by the damage, they do not seal. My personal advise is if you can spend the money, buy a quality double hung stick type house window and take care of the problem.

If money is too tight to allow that, I would totally remove the paneling and if room allows use 1x pine or Luann plywood if you don't have the room.

Be prepared to find wood that is starting to rot moisture under the paneling. When I did the windows in our's the frames were starting to rot, the home was about 15 yrs old at the time but since I was reframing for new windows it did not matter to me. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

Brenda (OH) wrote:...peeled off as much of the old paneling/sill lining as possible, patched with 1/4 luann, and cut strips of granite patterned stick on tile, (stuck on and stapled in place about every 4 inches) and caulked the edges of the tiles....
Brenda (OH)
Brenda, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing...I can find peel-and-stick vinyl strips that are 36" long, but I was unsure how well they would adhere to panels...I can always experiment and see what works best.
Greg wrote:My personal advise is if you can spend the money, buy a quality double hung stick type house window and take care of the problem.

If money is too tight to allow that, I would totally remove the paneling and if room allows use 1x pine or Luann plywood if you don't have the room.

Be prepared to find wood that is starting to rot moisture under the paneling. When I did the windows in our's the frames were starting to rot, the home was about 15 yrs old at the time but since I was reframing for new windows it did not matter to me. Greg
Greg, I have removed the panel linings enough to see the rough sills underneath and most appear dry and still sound. I agree these type of windows are junk, but I simply cannot afford to replace with good-quality vinyl double-hung windows. The rotten panel liners are mostly the result of minor condensation build-up in winter and my negligence in leaving windows open in the summer during rainstorms. I don't think the damage is too severe enough to warrant new replacement windows...yet, anyway.
Greg

If that is the case than I would use Luann plywood, you can either stain it & seal it or paint it.

I had pictures of what I found when I did ours in the photo album of the old site, not pretty but I kind'a expected it.

If possible you may want to think about starting a "window fund", figure around $300/hole for a good window and inside trim if you are doing the work. you will not believe the difference in the winter. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."