Buying a 2003 Palm Harbor....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sliceofheaven

..and have some questions.
First off..the vinyl wallboards in a newer home like that, are they paintable, just like all the threads I found on the topic? Seems most of those threads were about older homes and I don't know if the wall material has changed. The wallpaper in the kitchen and bathroom has got to be drowned out...lol.

Second, those horrible pickled white wood wannabe kitchen cabinets...can I peel the contact paper off allthe way you think? I was wanting to maybe do that and then rub some stain in and after that apply something like a wax of sorts for that old farm type feel...give me your ideas.

Third..were is the water heated located? Silly question maybe but we are stumped.
The home is a 2003 Plam Harbor, Sierra III style, it is a HUD home and we are getting it for a steal....but we are moving from a larger, stickbuilt home so things aren't as obvious to us as they should be..I guess.

Fourth..the exterior seems to be hardiplank, quite strong and thick looking, can you paint as well?

Sorry for all the questions, excited to be hear and hope to learn lots from this seemingly wonderful forum.

Petra
on my slice of heaven
Greg

Hi & welcome. Walls should be paintable, it may take some prep work, but they are usually paintable.

The wood cabinets most likely are not wood, most are a form of press board. Some here have painted them with good results, personally I do not like painted wood.

Water heaters are often placed behind a panel in the closet of the master bedroom.

If the exterior is Hardi board or that type of material, as long as it is in good condition paint should not be a problem with proper preparation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
sliceofheaven

Thanks Greg for all your answers. We are excited and ready to move in..soon.
joedirt63

kitchen cabinets you may want to look for used or preowned cabinets (real wood), and finish them how you want, the base cabinets are useually bult in and alot of work to remove, but if these are in good condition you may look at some panels to cover the cab face they come in 2' x4' panels and have a sanded side good for stain or paint, i used them to finish a exsposed side of my bath room sink cab,oak , and replace or refinish the doors , i did a remodle of my kitchen. i found complete kitchen on line craigs list, wall cabs, base cab with counter top2 corner lazy suzan's ,a over the stove micro. with vent and a dish washer for 400 bucks, just a thought.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Rhonda

This is what I am doing with the "cardboard" in my kitchen. My frames and doors are all in good shape so I plan to remove the cardboard sides and replace some with stained to match beadboard and the other with oak plywood. I have done this in the master bath. When I replaced the side in the bathroom it was rather easy. It makes a huge difference. I went the hardware store with a piece from the original side and matched the stain! It is quick and cheap. And it looks wonderful! Good luck!
sliceofheaven

What great ideas guys..I have a lot ideas too, but need to get in there before I truly start demolishing the kitchen in my head...;)
I am headiing off to HomeDepot right now to start looking at some paints and flooring ideas. So exciting...
Petra
Trudi

Hi and welcome! Just want you to know that we hope to see pics as you progress along.