Homeowner's insurance?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

GraceNC

Made a few inquiries when I got the deed to my property about 2 years ago...for insurance. I went through my local places, a few online...and another national company...
was told the same by all....that my home had no value and wasn't insurable.

There is no 'title' to the home as where I live, it's part of my real property now, actually on my real property deed as the building.

1967 junker...but I've already spent more than $17,000 on renovations and there's still more to do.

Yesterday a 'cell', 'rotation'- call it what you want, went right over my house. My daughter and I ran to the basement with the cat. A few minutes later the funnel came out and tore up the area- making headlines on todays news and was on the opening of Good Morning America this morning.

This has prompted me to once again to rethink insurance.
I feel lost in this.

Online forms...when I try to click in 1967 for the year of mobile home...it won't even let me or goes to a page saying "sorry"...we don't insure.

Can anyone give me some advice or guide me through this process of obtaining insurance?

(even with the ad on this forum- click it and it goes to netquote...who says they'll give 4 quotes...but just as soon as I put in my 1967 and zip code.... they vanish and they only give me one...and it stops- just a 800# to call, Foremost...who uses credit reports.
I have bad credit, and will for 5 more years)
GraceNC

Thru Geico-assurant, they say if older than 29 years:
documentation required for:
roof replacement
all electrical wiring replaced
heating system
water heater replaced
and some other things.

Roof easy- just did it.

But I don't have a heating system and my wiring has not been replaced. So yet another company bites the dust!

I just may be uninsurable.
Harry

HI

Did you try the North Carolina Department of Insurance, Wayne Goodwin Commissioner?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Just a though, but try shopping for a new auto insurance co., then tell them you want them to insure your home also - ALL OR NONE. you may be able to find an agent that will work for YOU and not the insurance company. This may take a few agents so don't give up too quick. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Don't try dealing directly with the companies yourself. Take your business to a insurance broker. If there is a company out there that will insure you a broker will find it.
You may have to try several brokers as they all deal with separate companies and some have more leverage with the companies than others.

As a customer you are insignificant but brokers are significant customers to insurance companies and tend to provide insurance they may otherwise not offer to individuals.

Let a broker do the work for you.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
ryanwellbornms

My house is more than 50 years old, in a pretty bad condition too.. I'm still doing some renovation on the house, anyway I got a good insurance deal from choice one insurance, they only required the 4 point inspection for an old house like mine, believe me if you look harder on the internet you'll find unbelievable deals available, just don't give up.