How big of a problem are trees when 2 ft from foundation?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

roycebluebill

We bought a mobile home 2 and a half years ago and there are trees on the west, south and east side of the home. On the west side the trees are red pine, hackberry, and white spruce and all of them are between 2 and 4 ft from the foundation. The foundation is a poured cement slab that extends 4 inches beyond the skirting. The home was put on site in 1997 but I have no idea about the trees as some of the pines and spruce are over 15 feet high already. The two biggest are on the south side and they are red pine and are about 2 ft from foundation and are close to 15 ft high.

Do I need to be concerned about root damage to foundation? The ground around the foundation is higher than the foundation which I think is a probelm because the water flow actually goes toward the house. The moisture barrier, if there is one, that should be extending beyond the foundation probably gets torn apart by the tree roots. Am I right? The tree roots that are growing bigger every year are making the ground become higher than the foundation as I can clearly see. When the trees were young the ground was probably level or lower than the foundation. I do not own the home but my friend does and I think that she needs to know this from people as yourselves and not from me.

I think the previous owners put the trees around the home for appearance and wind break. What is a good solution to all this tree business? Cut all trees down and then take out the stumps and then dig down and put new moisture barrier in? What's more important, wind break or protecting the foundation. I live in northern Wisconsin and do not know how far frost depths go. I would guess about 3-4 feet. But around a house it goes down less because of the heat so I do not know how far down the foundation of our home goes.

Any suggestions or feedback?
Greg

I would say that the trees will be a problem sooner or later. You could plant a second row of trees 10' -20' away and let them get established before removing the others if there are no problems now. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

If the trees are raising the ground they will definitely heave and potential break the foundation.
I would definitely cut them all down.
Before you plant anything new research the root invasion area of any tree you are considering replanting. A nursery will be able to tell you how far a trees roots are likely to reach.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Steve S.

roycebluebill wrote: What's more important, wind break or protecting the foundation.
Both are important, but protecting the foundation in this case is much more important.
Trees, especially large trees with large spreading root systems can be very damaging to foundations. The species you mention can grow to large trees and should never be planted near your home. I have a very effective windbreak of large pines about 100 ft to the northwest of my MH...the trees don't have to be right next to your home to act as a windbreak. Large trees can also wreak havoc with septic tanks and leachfields...I had to remove one large maple because of roots clogging leachfield pipes. Granted it takes many years for trees to grow very large...but is cheap insurance to remove them now while they are relatively young before the real serious damage begins. I love trees, but at a distance from my home...plant shrubs and perennials around the home for aesthetics.