Hola!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

PennylessZ28

Hi, I'm Mike. I'm not to found of phpbb, but heh, whatever.

:D I just bought my first modular home today. It's a 1989 Skyline, what that is, I don't know. Overall the home is in excellent physical condition minus paint and carpet. One owner who passed away. Just an elderly gentleman.

I run a couple forums myself, and I was surprised that their weren't any more forums on mobile homes. Geez.

Anyways, I work as a general contractor right now, and I'm also studying to get my BS in IT and i'm A+ and Network + certified, working on MCP and trying to figure out what i'm doing with my life.

24 and from Virginia Beach, VA. howdy!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

There are a few other Mh sites, but for the most part the bring you right back here.

This site is mainly a Mobile/Manufactured Home Repair site. You say yours is a modular. Although they are similar they are also different.
Does your home have steel I beams running down the length of the home. Modulars are typically prefabricated, and then trucked in and set in place with a crane. Which is yours?

Skyline is the manufacturer of the home, which tells me you have a mobile home.

Look forward to your contributions and participation here.

Have a good night.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
PennylessZ28

Its a mobile home, but modular sounds so much nicer. :D
Yanita

LOL,

It is what it is, and the necessity of correct info enables everyone to give the correct replies to repairs etc... :lol:

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

:lol: Yes ma'am.

Anyways, not a lot of experience with mobile homes, but I have been in the construction field for awhile. I'd like and hope to add to your knowledge base here.

I run a car forum, www.hrfbody.com and have written several tech articles there.

Since I attend on going in tomorrow and deciding what to start, I'd love to document and photograph alot of my work to share with others.

I have popcorn ceilings, and that wallboard with flower design everywhere. Not that I don't like flowers, but I'm a 24yr old guy. Not my thing. :lol:

After I clean it, I'm pretty sure its gonna be a five gallon bucket of T2 primer and the airless to the entire place.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I'm quit happy with the purchase. Rent in our area has gotten so retarded, becuase of the over inflation in housing value, that I was renting a master bedroom for 650 a month. You can't rent a studio apartment for less than 800, and 3 years ago I rented a 3 bedroom with two friends for 700 a month. You can't rent any of those homes anymore for less than 1200. It hurts young people starting out, and it really hurts older folks who have a fixed income. Taxes are just beyond belief.

Thats 7800 dollars a year. And I paid 10K cash for this with 400 lot rent. So my hopes are, no more deposits, no more crappy room mates. I can save, and enjoy myself while I wait to build my own home one day, in another state.

:D :roll:
Yanita

Hi Pennyless,

Click on the waiting for approval link, you will get your MPS link.

MH construction and standard stick built construction are different in some ways, I will leave you a link that shows how these homes are constructed.

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Might I suggest that you check out all the links to this site, this will quickly give you knowledge of these homes. There are some good articles to read, and you should really consider the purchase of the Mobile/Manufactured Home Repair Manuel. This can be purchased here on site...go to the infamous BOOKS/PARTS link, LOL.

I will check out your site, we have some mechanics on board with already, I believe flgmtech has a blog if I am not mistaken.

Have a good night.

~Yanita~
kashton

LOL!! I like the Yes ma'am. Good to know that The manners are there. I just don't like it when guys older than myself call me ma'am.(Not saying I'm a spring chicken, or anything.) But all the ladies know what I mean.

I like Yanita's pic. It makes you feel like she is talking directly to you, don't it?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

LOL Kashton,

I believe in another post he said he was 24...that's a year younger than my youngest son!

~Yanita~
kashton

Oh, to be young again!! I was 19 for my first, so, he could actually call me anytime to tell me I'm gonna be a GRANDMA! But, not yet I hope.

But then again. What do they say? If I knew Grandchildren would be so much fun, I would have had them first!
kashton

I also have to add to PennylessZ28, I hope your not Pennyless because of the Z28!
PennylessZ28

Actually its an old screen name from when I was 18 and got my first camaro. I have owned several since.

I fixed my money problems and thats why I was able to buy the trailer with cash. I just got tired of throwing my money down the drain on rent in this area.

Most homes, and I'm talking crappy 2 and 3 bedrooms built in 1940 that I think aren't worth more than 90K are selling for 220K in my area. So that leaves me out of the housing sector for now.

I prefer to be debt free, so I'm waiting till I can put 20% down and get a 15 yr loan and get it paid off quickly.

One day. God provides. :D

My mother told me to call adults by their last name and to use Ma'am and Yes Sir.

So odd, so many people now a days use first names for everyone. Blah.
PennylessZ28

I also meant to add, that I've been spying on your site for the last month and a half, but since I made the purchase, I thought I'd join your little community.

I see a lot of ladies here contributing.

Here are some photos from today, if anyone cares:

http://www.mikekey.com/The%20Project%20House/
kashton

Looks good. I have yet to up-date my pics of the Reno's done here. All are of the place when we first bought it. Payed cash too. Didn't want a Mortgage , or to pay rent anymore.

Camaro, Z28, and Firebirds were the top cars for the guys when I was in Highschool. I still prefer a Mustang.
Yanita

Hi Pennyless,

I just checked out your pics and thanks for the contributions.

Your home has alot of potential! :wink:

Krud Kutter will really help clean up those walls in a hurry. It can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot, about a $11.00 a gallon and concentrated so it goes a long ways.

One thing that I did notice in your pics. Your master bath has carpet. That in my opinion is something you should get rid of at your earliest convenience. The carpet holds water when you exit the shower/tub, promotes rotting floors and mold/mildew. As I said this is my opinion.

Another thought is those fixed aluminum awnings. I would check for leaks in those areas, any caulking that might need replacing. You live in the Virginia Beach area and I would think those awnings might be a source of damage to your home during tropical storm/hurricane events.

Love the size of your porch, we thought about screening in our back deck, but instead added a pergola to it.

Again, thanks for the contributions and for joining the family of Mobile Home Repair.

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

Yanita wrote:Hi Pennyless,

I just checked out your pics and thanks for the contributions.

Your home has alot of potential! :wink:

Krud Kutter will really help clean up those walls in a hurry. It can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot, about a $11.00 a gallon and concentrated so it goes a long ways.

One thing that I did notice in your pics. Your master bath has carpet. That in my opinion is something you should get rid of at your earliest convenience. The carpet holds water when you exit the shower/tub, promotes rotting floors and mold/mildew. As I said this is my opinion.

Another thought is those fixed aluminum awnings. I would check for leaks in those areas, any caulking that might need replacing. You live in the Virginia Beach area and I would think those awnings might be a source of damage to your home during tropical storm/hurricane events.

Love the size of your porch, we thought about screening in our back deck, but instead added a pergola to it.

Again, thanks for the contributions and for joining the family of Mobile Home Repair.

~Yanita~
Thanks, very interesting you mentioned the Awnings. Becuase I was removing the carpet in the master bedroom when my hand went through the wall under the window.

Since it was getting late, I stopped exploring. It looked like an old leak to begin with. I checked the roof yesterday and it looked like it had been resealed a couple years ago. The windows look sealed, it is possible I suppose that it leaked, and the former owner stopped the leak and assumed the wall was fine..... ?

Easy enough fix though.

As for that bathroom carpet. Yeah, I tore that at today too. Gross.

I cleaned that toilet and I thought it was almond, but low and behold it was white. INCREDIBLE I tell you.

I did get all the walls clean though. Bathrooms clean. Up comes all the flooring, then prep for paint.

Not sure what colors or floors yet. I really want to do laminet (?sp) wood floors.... hurm....