How do I test the anticipator for 24 volt? Please

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

ducson55

One Hvac guy called it an anticapator, someone else said hi and lo limit switch and someone else said relay switch! Anyway, I bought a 24 volt watchamajig for 23.00, slapped it in and replaced t-stat and seems to work good so far. But I put a meter on one of the terminals with positive to terminal on "anticapator" and negative on tester to body of furnace and got 50 volts while the thing was running! Am I doing this wrong? Thanks for a reply......................Michael in Montana
Robert

Hi Michael,

What is the furnace model number ? Where exactly is the part located ? Can you take a pic of it ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
ducson55

Model # 301050-001. Thanks for the reply, my name is Mike. The breaker at the furnace was fried so I eliminated it (couldn't find another one) and wired it direct to house panel to existing 90 amp breaker making sure that same wires went back to each leg of 220. Replaced the limit switch one wire at a time so wouldn't get confused. Installed new t-stat. Fired it up, it warmed for 40 seconds and blower went on. It got up to temp and shut down again but wouldn't start if there were a blizzard in front room. Only way to start again is up the thermostat again.
From the wiring diagram I see that two colored wires from elements to switch are reversed, one going to M-1 and one to M-5 when they should be reversed. What do you think?
Wonderful site you folks have. Thank you for your time. Appreciate it very much...................................Michael
Robert

Hi Mike,

That switch is a sequencer and they control the elements and the blower motor. We have the breaker for the furnace.

Look on furnace facing for a data sticker or nameplate to get correct furnace model number.

The one you gave is not a valid model number.

The wiring should be same as the diagram.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?