kitchen floor crown

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

hello, first on this site question my kitcken/ palor floor is bowing down at the sides from the center of the floor to the ouside walls is about a 1/2 inch from level, noticed this when installing kitchen base cabinets. would like to put tile flooring and wood flooring but need to level floor. how can i do this. the floor area is approx 14x25 feet total it's in the middle section of the house.the roof is vaulted in those 2 rooms . help?
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Hi & welcome. I can give you a few ideas, but unfortunately they all require lots of work. The bow in the floor is usually caused by excessive weight on the roof, roof overs with new plywood and shingles are often the cause. It sounds like you need to add perimeter blocking under the rim joist to help support the roof. I would also relevel the home when you do this.

The floor may or may not level out after the Perimeter blocking is installed, many times the floor joists are permanently bowed. At that point you have two choices, live with it or pull the floor up down to the joists and do a repair with filler strips to level the floor. Since it is only a 1/2" I think I would live with it.

As for tile floors, we do not recommend them in a mobile home. Our homes are designed to move slightly with no damage, tile on the other hand will not move without damage.

I am sure others will add to this with their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

thanks i figured it was just jacking an support the perimiter. and great no tiles, didn't want them any way she did.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Brenda (OH)

Home Depot carries Allure vinyl flooring, it is like a vinyl equivalent of laminate floor. it may be able to flex enough to take the bow over that distance.

there is a tile pattern one, that is 1 ft by 3 ft planks, with glue strips. I have it in my kitchen I really have been very happy with it.

Brenda (OH)
joedirt63

ok new question on old prblem, was going to start perimetr blocking on my house today and i saw the outside wall next to the entry door was bowed out,interior of that area follows same ,it is a outside wall and is the side of the m/h that seems to be sagging floor.it's not just the sideing ,feels like the sheathing is warped. about 7 months pregnant lol, any ideas ? is it time to packup and leave or grin and bear it.
Greg

Leave or bear it? There is a lot that has to go into that answer.
Do you own the home or renting it?
What is the over all condition of the home?
Are you able to do any work needed or will you have to hire someone?

You will need to make the decisions before you go too much farther, personally I feel that with the economy the way it is if the home is sound I would do the repairs and keep it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

yes i own it and until now aside from the roof leaking .it seemed to be in good condition, again this is my first m/h and still dicovering the diffs from a stick home, mostly what i've done was remodel up to now but in doing that i found these issues, the roof leaks are stopped for now but i do need a reshingle and some perm patch work .any idea what i may exspect to finr or should look for when i open this wall up. i was plannig to replace the entry door with a prehung unit.guess this is the best time to do that.