Hot water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DannyBob

:D

Hey, from TEXAS ...

HWH is about 15yrs old ... elec ... RHEEM (NO PLUG INTENDED) ... am on well water w/ LOTS of 'stuff' in it ... so, *I* figure tis time to chang-out the elements and co0ntrols.

Question being : Does ANYONE know how much torque to loosen / tighten the elements ??? or, do anyone know the factory torque specs ... ???

*I* have a pipe wrench, but if this is gonna require a breaker-bar for leverage, then *I* will forg it.

*DAN
"Remain calm --- it's all KARMA "
Rod

If you have hard water and the element has never been removed you may have to fight to get it out. Or you never know it may twist right out easy. As for installing a new one I'm not sure I've ever seen a torque setting recommendation. Just make sure you are using a new rubber gasket with the new element and give it a good firm snug.

good luck

Rod
Robert

Might want to check your anode rod also. As Rod stated, just get a snug fit with a new gasket.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
bguy49

Here is a little trick that a plumber friend taught me. Sometimes the elements are so rusted up that the wrench just slips when you apply a lot of torque to it, so if you take a cold chisel and hammer to the hex on the element, give it a couple of good hits and it will eventually free up.
Greg

Do yourself a favor, stop messing around an just replace it. After 15 yrs it's not worth it. You have no idea how the tank it's self is, Why risk a tank leaking after you "rebuild" the rest of it plus a new unit will cost less to operate. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DannyBob

TNX to all for the responses ...GREG's suggest to just replace : very solid ... Methinks *I* hie myself down to local Elec folks see what they are selling ...

OR, as "BGUY49" suggests : get a bigger hammer ...
"Remain calm --- it's all KARMA "
Robert

Yeppers. :D

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?